PDA

View Full Version : 7 STW: Who's shot it

ShadedDude
October 21, 1998, 12:39 AM
Hi everyone,
I want to hear from some people who have shot the 7 STW,
What did you think of the round, how was its performance, accuracy, range...all that.
Look forward to hearing from you!

raktrak
December 3, 2005, 03:10 PM
It's an awesome thing when loaded right. My Weatherby action,shilen barrel, mcmillan stock,with muzzle break will group 2-3/4 inches at 400 yards.
used 80.4 grs H-1000 with a 160gr sierra hpbt and mag primer. killed an 8 point at 450 yards. 10 yards to dead deer from where shot.It don't get no better than this,but LOUD REPORT that rolls across the Mississippi Delta morning like THUNDER.:D :)

It won't shoot FACTORY LOADS well,they are to short.

exoduster16
December 4, 2005, 12:06 AM
I've shot it.....and wow, what a gun!! MY buddy has it and after he sighted it in, it was my turn. It was loud, and the recoil was rough. But I managed. Definitely not one that you can just go plinking with all afternoon long. To expensive and your shoulder will take a beating.

JMC
December 4, 2005, 07:49 AM
I had a 7 STW "built" back in '96.

Mine has a top of their line Shilen SS match grade, hand lapped 26" bbl. with muzzle brake by them. Shilen did the barrel work for me.

The action is a Rem. 700 which began life as a Sendero 7mm Rem. Mag.

I used an H-S Precision stock which is also bedded at the action. This was done by an outfit in TX, Triple G Gunsmithing and a good job they did.

Now, mine does not shoot anywhere near what Layne Simpson, the originator of the 7 STW, claims that his rifles will. The best accurscy that I can claim is an honest 1" @ 100 yds. on a good day from a solid bench rest.

I can keep 3 shots in a 6" circle @ 300 yds. which I'm happy with.

My rifle seems to prefer the current higher priced bullet technology like the Ballistic Tips or the higher end bonded bullets. It doesn't seem to have a preference for 140's or 160's but I like the faster 140 gr. bullets.

Copper fouling is a BIG factor with the 7 STW. Your accuracy will drop drastically with the high velocities of this round.

As far as factory ammo goes, mine shot the Remington 140 gr. Core-Lokt round pretty well. Federal use to make a high end round using premium bullets but I never got around to trying them. I don't know if it's still produced.

I can not get the published velocities from my 26" bbl., no matter what powder, primer, bullet, case combo that I try but, I'm close.

H-1000 and Reloader 22 have been good to me. I once thought of trying Reloader 25 but passed on that idea.

With all this being said, I still like my 7 STW but don't shoot it much any more. The muzzle brake keeps the recoil down but then I'm not really recoil sensitive.

Many have said the 7 STW is dead with all the new shorter magnums. This is probably true but as long as I can reload, mine won't go hungry.

If I get the chance to hunt in the West again for antelope or deer, the 7 STW will go on the hunt.

raktrak
December 4, 2005, 08:39 AM
Sounds like my rifle and yours JMC are cousins. When I got mine it would not shoot tight groups either. I floated the barrel alittle more in one tight spot. checked the bedding. found the bolt handle when closed touching the channel wall and removed a 1/16'' layer to get it clear. Decided to shoot a long heavy bullet in the rascal because the wind in the Mississippi Delta runs 10 t0 15 miles an hour lotsa days during the season. Played with H-1000 because it was for MAGS. My sweet spot was 80.4 grains,(wish it was more) but it was so accurate I stayed put. My recoil is less than my 25-06. Mine won't shoot unless the bullet is very lightly touching the lands. Load up a few that way and see if it makes a difference, I would like to know . I am building a 30wsm benchrest 1000 yard rifle now. I will never put the STW out to pasture for something else, however I've been known to be unfaithful with a 6.5-06 custom with 120gr NOSLER ballistic tips,on a cold clear still day.:D :)

AT 60 years old and 4 Heart attacks my out west days are over, but if its windy here in MS, out comes Mr.STW

Garand Guy
December 4, 2005, 08:44 AM
I shot one a long time ago. The guy the made my wife's engagement ring had one. Couldn't tell you the make. He let me put two rounds through it. One shot hit the target (a rather large rock at about 150 yds out).

The recoil didn't seem to be that bad. But like I said, it was a long time ago.

longtines
December 4, 2005, 07:22 PM
I've killed two elk and four bucks with a 7mm STW. The longest shot took down a big six by six elk at 350 yds.

'nuff said.

raktrak
December 11, 2005, 12:03 PM
My longest STW kill was 450 yards on a 250lb 1-horned whitetail on a very windy day. It's good to know the old girl will work as well way out there on the ELK. Longtines what bullet did you use?:)

Lycanthrope
December 11, 2005, 03:12 PM
I've been shooting the STW since '88. My current one is a Winchester Model 70 classic that was rechambered from it's original 7mm Mag. It has a Bell and Carlson thumbhole stock that is free floated. Jewell trigger. With the muzzle brake (which is VERY effective on these guns) the recoil is akin to a .270.

My favorite loads are 140gr Ballistic tips over IMR 7828 and Federal 215 primers. Velocity is 3400fps and groups are under .5 MOA. I love it for elk and long range whitetails.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~jefwolfe/7STWSMALL.JPG

CHAINSAW
December 13, 2005, 09:01 PM
I have reloaded for my buddies Savage 116 stainless/syn in 7mmSTW. We used 120 grain bullets and were not happy with the top velocity of 3450 fps. This rifle shot hole touching groups with WC872 milsurp powder (H870) and Federal 215 primers. We also tried H4831 and Norma MRP for powder with ok but not exceptional results. The 120 grain bullets had little noticeable recoil.
The rifle in the Savage was amazingly light and easy to shoot off the bench and had a 26" barrel. I see Savage nolonger lists this rifle as available.

I like the round and the manageable recoil. Disappointed with the velocity.

Lycanthrope
December 13, 2005, 09:19 PM
I had 120 Ballistic Tips up to 3650 with 7828, Federal 215 primers. You need slow powders to make the heat.

CHAINSAW
December 13, 2005, 11:57 PM
I'll let him know what you just posted. He is somewhat set on using it at 3450 with the milsurp powder to avoid burning out the throat of the barrel. What brand of brass are you using?

JMC
December 14, 2005, 05:28 AM
I like the round and the manageable recoil. Disappointed with the velocity.

Same here. :(

I've tried IMR 7828 with good but not great results. I once thought that a 120 gr. premium bullet at the 3600 fps mark would be a very good long range antelpoe load.

Lycanthrope
December 14, 2005, 08:16 AM
These guns are overbores. You're going to throat the barrel in 2000 rounds. Less if you don't take care of it. There are downsides to driving a hot rod.....

I use both Remington and Winchester brass. Winchester lasts longer, but either will do you well.

I have friends who also use RL22 or RL25. They are claiming more velocity increases with using non magnum primers. I haven't tried that yet, but it's on my list of things to do when the weather gets warmer. I have seen 120 gr BT loads go above 3740fps out of these guns with 7828, but they are working these loads up slowly and they are above published max. You should be able to reach 3600fps.

retiredsgt
December 15, 2005, 08:34 AM
I had a chance to buy a used No.1 in 7MM STW, earlier this year. Asked here and other sites what y'all thought about the round. Majority of folks said it was Too Much of Everything. The price was right $450, and the gun was in pristine shape. So---- I bought it. What a great shooter. Currentgly working on a load using Sierra's 140 gr. Hp's., and Reloader 22. I didn't shoot my deer this year with it, but it was a good excuse to expand my No.1 collection.:rolleyes:

Lycanthrope
December 15, 2005, 10:48 AM
If it's not a Remington 700 in 30-06, there is always someone who will think it's a mistake.......

The uber magnums are like Corvettes. Not perfect for most driving, but a whole lot of fun in the right conditions.