PDA

View Full Version : guidance

Bill M
October 11, 1998, 11:48 PM
I'm considering the purchase of a new commercial rifle for informal target shooting. To date my shooting has been with military surplus guns. I'd like to learn the views of those with experience shooting Remington, Winchester, & Ruger centerfire rifles. Which are the best buys for the money? What are the best calibers and why? Thanks.

October 12, 1998, 10:10 AM
Bill,

You left a lot of open range to ride over on that question, fella. Informal target shooting equates to plinking in my vocabulary. I couldn't image getting a rifle for that purpose in a caliber any larger than .22lr. It also serves as an excellent means of getting small game for the camp stewpot. The ammunition is inexpensive, especially if you buy brick or case quantities at the special "door buster" sales by Wal-Mart, Target, K-mart and similar chain stores that buy bulk (boxcar loads) and sell cheap. This allows you to shoot often and extensively.

Brand? Look in your pocket book for that answer. You can get a good serviceable .22lr rifle for around a hundred dollars (used ones even less), or you can buy some top-o-the-line name brands for closer to a thousand dollars. Chances are, you wouldn't be as willing to get dings and prints all over the latter, whereas the former will probably accompany you on every outing.

If your definition of informal target shooting requires a target rifle, there are many good quality used target guns available thru the adds in Shotgun New and the Gun List. I've had very good experience with the used Remington and Winchester .22lr target rifles. Most cost in the $200-$600 range, depending on condition and frills.

If it's a center fire rifle that you're after, I'd advise consideration of one in a caliber that you already have, e.g. .308win, .30'06 or .223rem, simply to save on cost of ammo and availability of components for reloading. Again, the brand and model are dependent on the amount you're willing to spend and the purposes and conditions under which you envision its use.

DC
October 12, 1998, 03:46 PM
Take a look at the Ruger M77 bolt action and variants...from the standard economical hunting version to the tricked out target version. It has around 8 different caliber options.

Kodiac
October 20, 1998, 11:38 AM
Sounds like you need a Remington 700. Possibly in .308 - you can reload i tor get reloads at an easy price and it will give you a good range of performance depending of the load. .223 if your interested in the smaller things in life.

Bill M
October 20, 1998, 10:40 PM
Thanks to all who took the time to reply. Think I've narrowed my choices down to either Remington's 700 or Winchester's Model 70 rifles. Still studying their different incarnations and calibers.
Safe shooting.

Orion
October 20, 1998, 10:56 PM
If your going to be shooting off a bench, then let me offer a rifle that has a great "bang for the buck ratio". The Savage 110FP. I love this rifle so much that I bought the company. (just kidding) This rifle will do a 1" group right out of the box. And they are only about $350.00. It is a rifle well worth consideration. If you are not on a tight budget, then Remington is the way to go.
In a .308 of coarse.

4V50
October 20, 1998, 11:43 PM
Didn't realize that Savages were only $350. That was the price of the Remington over ten years ago.

If you've got the money, try a Remington varminter in .308 with a synthetic stock. It's virtually the same gun as their PSS (Police Sniper) with the only difference being the stock (thickness, contour and lack of second sling swivel for mounting a bipod). The alumininum bedded Remington stocks are made for them by HS Precision, the same folks who make the stocks for the Army (and I think the Marines too). Other synthetic stocks were made outside, but on my last visit to the factory, Remington acquired the means to produce their own. Their synthetic stocks are actually stronger than Choates (they did the truck ran over my rifle test).

As for accuracy, sub 1" moa at 100 yards is not uncommon. My .223 varminter gets 1/2" center to center groups with factory and my brother gets 1/4" center to center with handloads. My 30-06 gets nickel size groups. Remember, Remington makes the barrels for the Knight SR-25.

As for the BOSS system used by Winchester and Browning, it works but is a pain in the butt if you ever change your powder, bullet, primer or lot number (if you're into factory ammo). Better keep that rifle logbook up to date with the BOSS so you can keep track of the "sweet spot" for every variation you encounter. Give me a simple 11 degree dished muzzle anyday.

gdeal
December 17, 2005, 02:37 PM
Ruger Mini is the best. .223 or 7.62x39.

Toney
December 17, 2005, 02:47 PM
If it's between win or rem i think i'd go with the rem. I have a problem with all these new rifles. After handling them surplus rifles them factory rifles seem cheap,they got plastic parts most look like they would break if you dropped them. And the good ones are to nice to take outside!

tINY
December 17, 2005, 04:19 PM
The new Mossbergs seem to be a great value. The ones I have seen have been a little rough, but not anywhere that counts.

-tINY

GhostRider32
December 17, 2005, 04:55 PM
Just bought a Savage 12BVSS in .308. First day I went to test accuracy it shot .473 inch group for 5 shots at 100 yards. I am pleased with it.