PDA

View Full Version : Win. M70 Action Screws, How Tight?

Cletus
October 12, 1998, 07:32 PM
Win. says front and rear should be less than 35 in. lbs. and center screw less than 25 in. lbs. Short of buying an inch pound screwdriver torque wrench, how do know when they are the proper tension? Any other suggestions for tighening the screws?

bfoster
October 14, 1998, 08:03 PM
Cletus... Could you be more specific as to which M70 variant you have. Also is it glass bedded?

Cletus
October 14, 1998, 08:27 PM
The gun is a 1989 Sporter Varmint kind of heavy barrel , not really a bull. 26" barrel floated,,action is glassed. >22-250 caliber. Wood stock.

bfoster
October 15, 1998, 09:44 PM
With the bedding glassed, presuming a very good fit around thr recoil lug, many will set the front lug screw of a M70 to 50-55 inch lbs, the rear screw to about 35 (watch for possible binding of the bolt), and the center screw just tight enough to prevent loosening. Why not take your torque wrench to the range along with a proven load?

Lawyer Daggit
December 15, 2004, 10:17 PM
I do the front and rear screws up so that they are 'tight', but can be released easily with a screw driver, but so that they will not fall out and get lost.

The middle screw which is under the floor plate is done up to the point of being 'finger tight' only- if I tighten this any more than this on my feather weight push-feed 7 x57 it applies pressure to the action and accuracy goes to pot.

If I follow these admittedly fairly imprecise rules accuracy is around the 1 inch at 100 yards mark.