View Full Version : changing keyed safety?

November 16, 2000, 07:11 PM
I bought a new 870 and would like to know how to change out the keyed safety to one of the old style and if I can do it? Where can I get the parts to do it and what would it cost?I bought the express model for $219.00. Is that a decent price? sj

Dave McC
November 17, 2000, 06:58 AM
S, the aftermarket jumbo safeties will interchange, or see if there's one down at your local gun shop. As I understand from calling Remington, the older style safeties will not be offered as a part item.

#$%^&* political correctness....

old hawk
November 17, 2000, 04:35 PM
see my page on this, if you get the vang large head you have to round the plunger for the saftey for it to work, the old ones had a ball detent, new ones a plunger with an oval shallow face that needs rounding off.details and more on my site......yes you did get an excellent price,mine is the express mag version in black matte.

November 17, 2000, 07:41 PM
Old Hawk,thanks a lot for all your information and links. I sure appreciate it. sj

old hawk
November 18, 2000, 01:43 PM
anytime sj........

November 22, 2000, 02:43 PM
I bought one of those big head safeties and put it on in about 10 minutes,no problem. better than that pc piece of s***.