View Full Version : Suppressor Legal States?

ohen cepel
May 14, 2002, 04:51 AM
Can someone give me a link to the list of suppressor legal states?

Most concerned about MD and WV at this time.

Also, what's the deal as I move around? Is it a real pain?

Thanks in advance,

May 14, 2002, 05:33 AM
If you go to the ATF website, they have a publication "State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms" that lists the laws for each state. You can then check the legality for any state you are interested.

Transporting suppressors and AOW's do not require prior permission to transport them interstate. All other NFA weapons require you to submit a form (ATF Form 5320.20) and recieve prior approval before you can travel with them.

If moving to a new state, you must file the same form as above, again with the exception of suppressors and AOW's, before moving. The NFA weapons must be legal in the state you are moving to or ATF will not approve the transfer.

If you cannot take your weapons to your new state because it is illegal there, you may leave them stored with a friend or family member in your current state. They must be secured in a safe or lock box so that no one other than you can have access to them and AFT must be informed of the storage location.

ATF's State Laws Link:


ATF's NFA Link:


ohen cepel
May 15, 2002, 05:36 AM
Thanks, still looking for the answer. Nothing easy with the gov't.

Interesting note: The WVU Mountianeer Mascot is excempted from the no gun on a school rule if he/she is performing his/her official duties.

What a hoot!!!

May 15, 2002, 09:06 AM
The answer is buried in the NFA FAQ (http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt), a must-read for anyone even vaguely interested in Class III stuff.

James K
May 17, 2002, 07:55 PM
I can tell you that there is no MD law on silencers; they are not even required to be registered in the annual machinegun registration. AFAIK, there are no local laws on the subject in the state either.

I thought you had to advise BATF in advance and await a letter of approval when you move any NFA item from one state to another, but I checked and that seems to apply only to machineguns, short barrel rifles, short barrel shotguns and destructive devices. So you apparently can move a silencer from state to state without BATF permission provided it is legal to possess in both states.