View Full Version : shotgun purchase

March 18, 2002, 10:07 AM
I was at the gunshop the other day and saw a nice winchester 1300 defender I can get it for 300.00 it seems a tad high but it has adjustable ghost ring sights and a side saddle shell carrier
there was a stripped down model on gunbroker for 179.00 good price but I looked in brownells catalog and the cheapest I could find the ghost ring sights was 99.00 and the shell carrier was 19.00 so if I go that rout I am right back at 300.00 again
plus you got to figure in shipping and transfer fees and I am at nearly the same price for what I would pay for the gunshop winchester plus tax of course
so what would you do?
I owned a "winny" 1200 defender years ago and liked it alot but I was wondering if they make a longer barrel for the 1300 for hunting anybody know?
look forward to your opinions

Dave McC
March 18, 2002, 09:40 PM
Fellow Skynyrd fan....

$300 is neither a steal nor a deal, IMO. Get it if it rings your chimes. I believe there's a longer bbl made for that, remember to check your local laws and game regs concerning capacity.

And the present bbl will work fine for deer hunting. Wingshooting might be a prob with the GR sights.

March 19, 2002, 11:20 AM
Yes the 1300 Ranger has the longer barrel and is used for hunting and can be purchased for less than 300 bucks (probably about 250) at a Walmart or even K-mart (I think). Nice gun BTW. :D

March 19, 2002, 11:44 AM
To the best of my knowledge, the longest barrel available for the 8 shot defender is a 22" Winchoke. If you find anything longer, let me know. I'm looking for a 26".

Dave R
March 19, 2002, 12:28 PM
You guys need to learn how to search the web...

Winchester makes 1300 barrels up to 28". They just drop in. You can change 'em in 30 seconds.

Cabelas has 'em. Prices range from $125-$185. Here's the link:


There may be other manufacturers at lower prices...

March 19, 2002, 12:42 PM
That's great, but we're talking about the Defender model with the extended magazine tube. Those barrels will work, but you have to use the funky magazine end cap that extends down a couple of inches. I haven't heard good things about those, so I haven't tried.