View Full Version : 11-87 Newbie

October 11, 1999, 09:59 PM
Well, just got an 11-87. Simple synthetic blue Special Purpose. 28" bbl/3 chokes. Surprisingly (to me), it actually is a nice tight little gun without too many rattling noises when shook. (Been spoiled with Benellis.) This is my first Remington shotgun .

My question is are there any idiosyncrasies I should be looking for and are there any tips that anyone can forward to help keep the gun running smoothly and avoid any serious problems? The only mod I'll do is installing an extended mag.

Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

- Ron V.


October 12, 1999, 04:36 AM
Hey Ron good choice on the Rem 11-87. I've had one for 12 years or so great gun.

Now to answer your questions. I haven't had any real problems with mine. No parts have broken. Hardly any malfunctions. When I received my shotgun it wasn't assembled and on assembling the gas rings I put the o-ring on the bottom and it still fired and functioned.

Now a few parts that I'd reccomend you purchase. You can get all these parts from Brownells www.brownells.com (http://www.brownells.com)
these part numbers are out of Brownells #52
1)DMW easyloader 260-100-000 pg. 73
I don't know how I survived without this on mine. The best accessory bar none for the
11-87 and the 1100 Remington. Fairly easy to install. Took me about 30 minutes including dissembly, installation, reassembly and testing.

2) Scattergun Sidesaddle 800-303-780
pg. 73

3) Choate Combat Bolt Handle
159-101-112 pg. 74

There are alot of accesories for the 11-87 but the ones above are probably the most usefull. They all make using the 11-87 more user friendly for deffense and hunting.

I keep a couple of the gas rings around just in case. They are fairly sturdy and the one that came with my gun is still in it and still working fine but without it the gun becomes a real expensive singleshot.
Barrel Seal 767-158-990 pg. 365

Good Luck

October 12, 1999, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the tips. When you say gas ring are you talking about the gas cylinder collar?

- Ron V.


October 14, 1999, 03:52 AM
I meant the o-ring that goes on the mag tube in front of the gas collar. The factory call it a barrel seal but it is just a rebber o-ring.