View Full Version : repair question

February 19, 2002, 09:59 PM
If you have a registered machinegun and the receiver breaks, can you send to be replaced? IE the gunsmith takes a new reciever, stamps the old serial number on it, and put your old rifle's parts on it?

February 19, 2002, 10:33 PM
If the registered machine gun IS the receiver, then no. It can be repaired but never replaced. If another part such as a bolt or sear IS the registered machine gun, then the receiver can be changed. BUT, must contain a NEW serial number stamped by its manufacture. BATF must be notified of the new host gun.

February 20, 2002, 07:37 AM
VB, you are talking about pre-5/86s on Form 4s right?

Jake 98c/11b
February 20, 2002, 02:23 PM
Given the cost of the guns it is often worth the expense to rebuild the receiver if it is damaged, some folks can do some really incredible things along these lines. Unfortunately the registered piece (receiver, sear, bolt, sideplate, etc.) can not be replaced on a one for one basis I don't think. This explanation covers the pre 86 guns, doesn't really matter with the post 86 guns I wouldn't think.