View Full Version : Class III Gift?

Lonnie Jaycox
February 12, 2002, 04:49 PM
A friend of mine owns a successful restaurant and has gotten himself wealthy. His father helped him get the place started. His dad is a Korean War vetran and a gun collector (US military weapons). He told me that the one gun his father doesn't have but wants is a Thompson Subgun. He wants to buy one for his father--he wants to do so legally. I told him to check with his dad and see if he already has the proper licenses without spoiling a potential surprise gift. He is not a gun person and asked me where to find these and how much they cost. I told him I would inquire here, but that I would not get involved in anything illegal. How would one do this within the law, and where does one find vintage Thompsons for sale?

February 12, 2002, 05:44 PM
Although the gun can be given to the father as a gift, the father still has to go through the entire procedure of owning a registered machine-gun. Paperwork, cleo sign off and payment of tax.

This is an overly simplified explanation and would suggest that your friend go to his nearest class III FFL. They will be able to explain the procedure in detail and cover any possible snafu's that are unique to your state.

It can be done. It's just not going to be a surprise.

Also, there is no license required to own a machine-gun. It's a tax stamp.

It cost about $8000 to play and added accessories, like drums cost about $800 each. There is one for sale at subgun.com right now.

February 12, 2002, 08:23 PM
Its my understanding that (state laws permitting) a person can buy the weapon for their father and present them with the receipt and another $200 in cash for the tax stamp. The father can then go down to the FFL's store and LOOK at the weapon from a distance when they pick up the forms to fill out then come back at intervals and look again until the paperwork clears, another 3 months or so, then take it home when the stamped form comes back.

Sort of like kissing through a screen door. :)

February 14, 2002, 03:36 PM
If your state does not allow ClassIII firearms, you can get a semi-auto carbine version of the Thompsen SMG.