The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 19, 2002, 11:36 AM   #1
saands

.243 enough for Boar?

I might have an opportunity to do a wild boar hunt on the central coast of California in a couple of months and was wondering what the general consensus is on whether a .243win is sufficient for this. My guess is that we won't be seeing anything in the 300+ pound range. I'm building a 243 right now and it should be finished and ready in time ... it sure would be nice to take it into the field. If the .243 is marginal, however, I can go bigger with no real inconvenience.

Thanks,
Saands

ps ... I was thinking 100 grain bullets on top of H1000 which should scoot along at somewhere near 3000 fps according to the tables.
Old January 19, 2002, 01:16 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

A good friend hunted in that area with a 6mm. He did use Nosler Partitions with good results.

Giz
Old January 19, 2002, 01:30 PM   #3
wvboy

I am no expert on rifles by any means but a .243 is capable of a lot more than people think. It's probably considered a little to light to shoot at something that will bite back ,but I think it will kill one with no problem. I have had three .243's but never killed anything with them. I can't seem to find one that I really like. One was too heavy,one too short and the other just woudn't group, so I sold them all. Hopefully I will find one that I like because I love that caliber. I know I didn't help any but I am snowed in and bored so I had to write something.
Old January 19, 2002, 01:32 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

.243 plenty gun. 45 70 not enough with bad shot placement.

Sam
Old January 19, 2002, 04:35 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Concur with man of few words.

, Art
Old January 19, 2002, 09:37 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Tnx
S
Old January 19, 2002, 09:58 PM   #7
Zorro

Go bigger. Never heard of a hog being overkilled.

Say 6.5 X 55MM minimum.

I suggest 12 Guage Slugs, 308/30-06 or 45-70 as a good choice.
Old January 19, 2002, 10:39 PM   #8
TGS

.375 H/H Works Very WEll

Have you ever seen a boar up real close They have some Russians that were introduced to that area years ago. Ive shot boar in excess of 450 lbs. California is a great boar hunting.
Ive used only really big guns and have never felt guilty or unsportsman like. These things will really tear your a_ _ up if you give the opportunity.
If your hunting alone I dont think small is good. If you have a partner going with you I sugget one of you carry some horsepower. These guys are major tough and thick skinned. It would be intresting I suppose to get one p.o.'d but I have never had had the desire to do so. Ive shot smaller hogs in florida and Eastern TN. with .308 and .30-06
But as the man said gotta hit em right or a howitzer aint going to get it done. Ive had the opportunity to shoot sheep and goat in AK. using the .243 and thik its a great caliper. BUT sheep and goat dont have a lot of attitude and were always standing still so bullet placement was never an issue. Darn hogs seem to be in constant motion. I use my .375 most of the time. Usually 30- 40 yds. Never had one get back up. I could tell you some tales. He's got scars from what he thought was a dead boar...wrong. He ended up killing it with his side arm. (.44 mag)
I dont think Ive enjoyed anything more than boar hunting. Let us know how you make out.
Old January 20, 2002, 08:02 AM   #9
Roman Knoll

All depends how you hunt. I've seen South Africans culling warthogs for meat with tripple two.

From my own experience I know that 6.5x55 with 156 grainer bullet works very nicely indeed on European boar. Should do for US variety too.

Roman
Old January 20, 2002, 11:36 AM   #10
saands

Thanks for the input so far. To date, I have only seen the mounted heads ... but the tusks I've seen are why I'm asking this question in the first place I'm not considering hunting solo ... and I am pretty sure that my buddy will be carrying a 270. I think I will ask some more specific questions about pig size and terrain before deciding.

Thanks,
Saands
Old January 21, 2002, 05:42 PM   #11
Salt

The .243 will be fine, just be sure that you have been practicing at the range to hone those marksmanship skills.

My choice for wild hogs would be a .30-30 Winchester M94 rifle.
Old January 21, 2002, 10:15 PM   #12
Zorro

.243 Winchester is best reserved for things that can't hunt you back.

Wild pig and boar are probably the most dangerous game animal in the lower U.S. 48 states.

Here is a hint: pigs are CONFIRMED! maneaters.

Black Bears are far less dangerous.
Old January 21, 2002, 11:29 PM   #13
inGobwetrust

Zorro,

I've done a lot of pig hunting in several states (FL, TN, CA, TX) and must respectfully disagree. A .243 with the right bullets is plenty for ANY pig on Earth if you put the bullet in the right place.
Old January 22, 2002, 12:08 AM   #14
Zorro

Quote:
I've done a lot of pig hunting in several states (FL, TN, CA, TX) and must respectfully
And If you screw up YOU! are Pig food!

What about the unlucky?

They can't type! They are dead

Pigs are Dangerous. Ask any pig farmer.
Old January 22, 2002, 12:43 AM   #15
inGobwetrust

I think you are underestimating the .243 and giving the pigs too much credit. We'll agree to disagree, I guess.

I'd feel comfortable hunting pigs (including really big ones) with 30-30, .243, 7-30 Waters, 12 or 20 guage slugs, etc. My favorite round for hunting them now is the .44 mag out of my 14" Contender. Just choose your shot carefully. Remember, we're talking about HUNTING pigs, not pig attack defense. In that role I'd take a 12 guage with good 00 buck loads.

Last edited by inGobwetrust; January 23, 2002 at 01:44 AM.
Old January 22, 2002, 09:31 AM   #16
ojibweindian

If I were hunting pigs, I'd use something more substantial than a .243. G-Father had a farm with hogs, and they can get quite pissed. A hog is very dangerous.
Old January 22, 2002, 10:17 AM   #17
Hook_N_Bullet

I must also respectfully disagree (Man going up against Art & C.R. Sam is dangerous ground!)

Why use a long distance flat shooter in a brush gun environ?

Quote:
.243 plenty gun. 45 70 not enough with bad shot placement
If bad shot placement occurs with a .243, it's gotta be worse than bad shot placement with a .45-70

Art and C.R. please be gentle!

"You are what you do, when it counts" The Massao
Old January 22, 2002, 02:50 PM   #18
Tom Matiska

From my deer hunting experience I think the 243 lacks for nothing in the penatration department. 100's make just as many exit holes as any 30-30, 308, or 44 Mag I've hunted with.

The beauty of the 243 is shot placement on fast movers. It is a photon torpedo compared to the bowling balls some like to hunt with, and putting a shot into the vitals of a critter running for its life requires much less skill/guesswork.

Tom
Old January 22, 2002, 03:22 PM   #19
C.R.Sam

Hook.....
S
Old January 22, 2002, 03:30 PM   #20
ed mason

Keep in mind many of the bullets designed for the 243 are intended for varmint hunting applications and could have disastrous
results on large game.I would suggest looking at the barnes x or the nosler partition style.Even the remington core-loke bullets
should be a good choice.

As far as the crack about bullet deflection being worse with the 243 over the 45/70 this is just a myth.Any bullet of any weight
will deflect when struck by twigs and brush.I have even witnessed for myself in training a 12 gauge slug skipping off the rim of a
hat causing a complete miss at 5 yards.
Old January 22, 2002, 04:06 PM   #21
saands

Thank You!

This has made for very interesting and thoughtful reading ... I especially like hearing both sides and the cautions.

Ed: I have looked at the catalogs and the Hornady folks make a 100gr BTSP that they make a point of distinguishing as a hunting bullet and not the next weight up in their varmint line.

Thanks again,
Saands
Old January 22, 2002, 04:24 PM   #22
H&H,hunter

Just my two cents.
I kill between 25 and 50 feral hogs every year. I use a .375H&H. Never had a penetration problem. I'll say this about the lighter 6MMs and such We seldom kill a really big hog who hasen't been shot some time in the past. Many of them have bullet wounds healed over in there shields. A hog shield is something that should be seen to be believed. I've dug bullet fragments out of their side many times I even found a mostley intact .25 cal nosler once didn't make it through the shield. So here is my take on this bullet placement is highly overrated. And here's why, a man cannot acuratley place a bullet on a running hog in the brush. You can put it in the front half but I dare say that you can't reliably call your shot within 6 inches in those circumstances. So my theory is to use a round that'll penetrait all the way through from any angle and hit the good stuff.
Last year we had a guy come down with his 25-06. After warning him that his gun may be a little light for our style of hog hunting (walking the brush for em) he informed us that he only made head shots. Well to save you the gory details he was sent over a hill to look for hogs after a few minutes we heard five shots in rapid sucession. After a few moments of reflection my partner looked over at me with a sly grin and said think all five of them was head shots.
A 243 is to light for big hogs. Unless your going to be hunting them from a stand and bait and can really pick your shots.
Old January 22, 2002, 07:26 PM   #23
inGobwetrust

H&H hunter,

I'd like to do some of that type of hunting for big hogs. What state are you talking about? I'm planning another hog hunt soon so you've definitely piqued my interest.

Patrick
Old January 22, 2002, 08:17 PM   #24
ed mason

http://www.federalcartridge.com/andex2.html

Federal makes a 100 gr nosler partition that should have no penetration problems.I have shot two hogs ,both with the 308.One
was a nosler ballistic tip and the other was with win fail safe.Although pigs are generally A little thicker than deer,I don't really
see any great concern for a larger caliber than the 243 with proper bullet selection.I would bet the gentleman that h@h hunter
was talking about was either a lousy shot or was using the wrong bullets.I know several guides in the south that have farms set
up with bait and they have clients come in on a daily basis to hunt.They tell me with a proper hit that most any cartridge will do
in the .243 class up provided the bullet's are selected correctly.For what it is worth a hogs anatomy is a little different than
white tail deer. The vitals are a little more forward of the shoulder thus requiring a forward hold.
Old January 22, 2002, 09:26 PM   #25
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Agree with Ed. For up close and personal stuff I do like heavier guns. For popping them from stands and the California stalks, shot placement gets the first nod - with high SD and tough bullets.

Giz