The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 11, 2002, 09:31 PM   #1
Peter Mowitt

Request for assistnce

I'm placing an inquiry here thanks to the courtsey of Rich Lucibella. I am trying to help a friend identify a firearem that I have not seen, only had described to me by him over the telephone. It is apparently a carbine, possibly British. It is marked on the barrel MSA&CO 1875 Snyder (sp?)Patent. It is also marked C555 and there is an arrow mark. The butt plate is brass and is fitted with an opening in which there is a cleaning rod. The lock plate is marked with a crown above the letters GP.Can anyone help me.

Thank you, Peter Mowitt
Old January 11, 2002, 10:39 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Pete,

Without photos, and attempting to pull aside LOTS of cobwebs in the skull, it sounds like it MIGHT be a Snider Enfield rifle in .577 caliber.

This was a single shot rifle that used a breech mechanism not unlike the American Trapdoor springfield. Instead of flipping up, it flipped sideways, IIRC.

It sounds like it might be Canadian. They used these guns well into the 20th century.

Any chance of posting some pictures?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 12, 2002, 06:16 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Snider

Pete:
Does this look like your rifle?