The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 31, 2001, 07:24 PM   #1
mdlowry

Barrel/Cylinder gap question

I had come across a thread on here about buying a used revolver. I ended up checking some of my revolvers that I have. On one of my revolvers the barrel/cylinder gap is not consistent. At one point I can hold it up to the light and see a thin sliver of light coming through. When I rotate the cylinder around 1/2 way, there is a bigger gap. I don't have any feeler gauges so I am unable to measure it right now. I'm sure that this will affect accuracy (difference in pressure). Would this be an easy problem to fix, or should I just leave it as it is?
Old December 31, 2001, 10:47 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

That is not uncommon. Either the cylinder arbor has been bent or the face of the cylinder is not squared off right. The result will be some slight inaccuracy, but you need to decide whether it is enough to warrant the cost of the fix. Of course, if the gun is new, and of a reputable brand, I would send it back to the factory.

Other wise any good pistolsmith can correct it, or you can try somebody like Cylinder and Slide at www.cylinder-slide.com/ who should be able to correct the problem.

Jim
Old January 1, 2002, 12:15 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

mdlowry......you mind tellin us the make, model and age of the revolver in question?

Sam
Old January 1, 2002, 12:27 PM   #4
mdlowry

Quote:
from C.R.Sam
you mind tellin us the make, model and age of the revolver in question?
C.R.Sam, This is a Taurus M44 that I purchased new about a year and a half ago. I haven't really done any distance shooting with this, and han't really noticed any problem. I suspect that when I get a little better (I haven't been doing this long) I'll want this fixed.

Michael
Old January 1, 2002, 01:31 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Jim diagnosed it correctly. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the groups started opening up. Mind you, find the longest distance in your house and that should be the distance you should consider in practicing for defensive shooting. If at that distance the Taurus isn't trustworthy to hit your target, keeping in mind that each of us uses different sized targets or have different standards of acceptability, then send it back.
Old January 5, 2002, 05:50 PM   #6
Bob243

FYI, Taurus is great when it comes to honoring their warranty.
Old January 6, 2002, 12:49 AM   #7
C.R.Sam

As noted, Taurus is good with customer service and warrenty. Might give em a call and describe what you found.

Sam