The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 9, 2001, 09:32 PM   #1
Popsicle

Remington 11-87 police shotguns

How durable are the 11-87 police models? I currently own a Benelli Nova w/ ghost rings, but would like a gas operarted semi for HD purposes. Can the 11-87 stand up to a regular practice regime with Buck and slugs? Also, can the police models be purchased by civilians? The reason I ask is I read on the rifle forum that the police rifle sales are somewhat restricted, depending on the dealer. Thanks for any info!

Pat Brophy
Old December 9, 2001, 11:01 PM   #2
lunde

The 11-87 Police shotgun is an outstanding piece of hardware. The following four places are among those that sell them to civilians:

http://www.papolicesupply.com/

http://www.daves-guns.com/

http://www.guns4ever.com/

Hoplite, POB 6599, 3402 Burkland, Bldg. 3, Shepherdsville, KY 40165 502-955-5014

I bought #9855 (the front bead sight configuration) for about $600 new-in-box and delivered.

See: http://www.remingtonle.com/shotgun/1187p.htm

Compared to an equivalent Benelli M1, they recoil significantly less. And, they are easy to take care of.
Old December 10, 2001, 07:48 AM   #3
smitty21

What about the shotguns made by Wilson Combat, are they for sale to civilians?
"I wear my uniform for the heritage of sacrifice it represents . . . I wear the uniform of my country because others do not. America's freedom is a right given by God, but defended by man. It is our overwhelming responsibility to preserve our heritage of freedom for all Americans, and I accept that challenge willingly"
Old December 10, 2001, 09:57 AM   #4
buzz_knox

Yup. WC will sell the custom 870s or 1187s to lowly civilians. They will also sell the NFA "sawed offs" to us, with the proper paperwork.
Old December 10, 2001, 09:57 AM   #5
lunde

Yes, the Wilson Combat shotguns (not the versions with barrels less than 18 inches, though) are for sale to mere mortals. But, they seem to be overpriced. The stock Remington 870 or 11-87 Police shotguns will work fine.
Old December 10, 2001, 11:23 AM   #6
Intel6

The 11-87 Police version is specifically modified to handle a steady diet of buck and slugs. It is not a feild gun that has been made up for police use, it is specifically made for it. The 11-87P has a different gas system and heavier springs and was made specifically for Law Enforcement use.

This is why many people compalin about the 11-87P not being able to shoot the lighter/cheaper (Wal Mart) loads like a regular 11-87 would.
Old December 10, 2001, 12:11 PM   #7
ChandlerSniper158

I use an 11-87P for 3-gun matches. I have not had a problem with it in over 3 years of shooting. I use full power loads, 00 buck and slugs #4 birdshot, low recoil slugs. The only load it won`t cycle reliably are low recoil buckshot. I did drill out the gas port one drill size bigger so it will cycle the low recoil slugs. I have Scattergun Ghost rings sights on it. You keep it cleaned and it won`t give you any trouble.

CS#158
Old December 11, 2001, 03:20 AM   #8
M Gruber

Got the 1187P and love it.....now that is, after scratching and clawing my way through Remington grand central. Had the original gun replaced completely because the interceptor clip fell to the ground after the first shot.....which jammed. That gun spent over 45 long days in an "Approved Remington Repair Center" and the problem was worse. I caught Remington in so many lies it made me sick. I raised hell and finally insisted on a replacement.
New gun shows up and I send it out straight away to my smithy for some major modifications. Learned that the bore was to big for Vang Comp set up and had to settle for a whole new barrel. All the other bells n' whistles were external.
Finally got the $700 1187P back and after $800 worth of upgrades and elbow grease the gun is a seriouse tool. All along the rocky road I heard over and over again that Remington's quality has really suffered in the last few years. Reputable smithy's have told me 3 out of 10 870's they purchase to modify are sent back. They can't do anything with them.
I think if I was to pick up an 870 I'd just opt to purchase it straight from a known smithy to hopfully skip all the pain and suffering I went through by providing them with my purchased gun.
Just a thought...

MG