The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 16, 2001, 10:46 AM   #1
Jake 98c/11b

Martini or falling block action

I am interested in building a small carbine on a Martini action or a small falling block action. Where can I find something like this? I want to build a small light carbine in .357 mag for a kid, kind of a first centerfire for my cousin. My original thought was to find a beater single shot topper and buy a .357 barrel but he is really good with the knife and .22 we gave him, he cleans and maintains them well so I figured he should have something nicer. I had a line on a Martini but it fell through.
Old November 16, 2001, 05:45 PM   #2
J.B. Hickok

Navy Arms had some Martini actions available several years ago. I doubt that they still have any but it would not hurt to check. They were pricey at the time.
Old December 13, 2001, 09:30 AM   #3
Khornet

Martini

There is a dealer on the web specializing in Martinis, think it's calle the Martini Gallery. Lots of beauties there, many for sale. I'll try to find the address.
Old December 13, 2001, 11:45 AM   #4
Hand_Rifle_Guy

How about a rook rifle? That presumes finding one, and ammo to go with it. There is also the Browning Lo-wall in .22 Hornet. I saw someone selling 'em in Shotgun News not to long ago. I think Uberti sells a revolving rifle in .357 based on the Remington 1858 Army SA. Try checking their sight. They also make a Baby Rolling Block carbine, based on their pistol action, but I can't remember what caliber(s) they offer. I know they're not Martini's, but those can be difficult to locate. Hope this'll help.

I'm reminded of that every time the phone rings.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G
Old December 13, 2001, 04:11 PM   #5
Lefty

Didn't see if any were available, but at the bottom of the page there's a link to Want Ads and For Sale items. Here's the link: http://www.martinigallery.com/. Tight groups !!
Old December 15, 2001, 10:17 AM   #6
Terrill

Jake, the easiest way to go would be to get a T/C Contender Carbine with a .357 barrel. That way he could upgrade to a heavier caliber if desired as time goes by.
Old December 15, 2001, 06:52 PM   #7
Jake 98c/11b

Terrill, I will likely go with the Contender, I just happen to be a fan of the Martini action and small falling block actions.
Old December 16, 2001, 02:37 AM   #8
Gewehr98

Near Melbourne, FL

There's a gun shop that has a Ruger #1S in .357 Magnum. Dunno if that was a factory chambering, but for a falling block, it'd be a fun rifle in that light a caliber.

Neural Misfires
Old December 20, 2001, 08:11 PM   #9
John Lawson

A Cadet Martini or a rook rifle with an identical action made by BSA will work up into a beautiful and accurate rifle. I have one that will end up being a .22 Rem Jet caliber. You can go all the way on one of these.
A Contender is a shooter, but it will always be just a Contender. If you compare the targets from a Contender in .357 and a Cadet Martini in .357 you'll see what I mean. Make a 7/8" diameter bull barrel. If you obtain a chambering reamer without a throater integral and use a separate throater to finish the chamber, the Martini will make the Contender look as accurate as a Daisy bb gun.