The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 11, 2001, 09:14 PM   #1
Rich Lucibella
Staff

45-70 for Buff? You've Gotta be Kidding?!!!

Nah, not really:

I've promised photos of my recent trip to Tanzania. While I haven't had time to put together a write up (or even get the pics processed!), I've uploaded some of the images from my digital camera. The title basically describes the animal and/or shot and/or bullet. Disregard the numeric at the beginning....it's just a way for for me to organize the list in roughly chronological order.

For the complete directory, got to http://thefiringline.com/Misc/tanzania/hunt/
Rich

Last edited by Rich Lucibella; November 11, 2001 at 11:19 PM.
Old November 11, 2001, 09:27 PM   #2
Molon Labe!

DEAR GOD!

A 45/70 can drop one of those monsters! Has anybody read the story about a Cape Buffalo hunt in the september issue of Outdoor Life? I would spend near $3000 for a .50 cal rifle if I were to go for buffalo
Old November 11, 2001, 09:37 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Molon Labe, not to take anything away from Rich's prideful achievement, but there's a reason hunters stand behind the critter they shot: It looks much bigger, that way. (A ton of irate cow will ALWAYS be impressive, of course.)

For that matter, taxidermists get into the act, too. I have a shoulder-mount antelope on the wall. When I shot him, he dressed out maybe a hundred pounds. After the taxidermist got done stretching the hide over the mold, he looks like he'd have gone 150!

, Art
Old November 11, 2001, 10:58 PM   #4
Highpower1

Rich,

Great photos. I can't wait to hear the stories now. Looks like you had a wonderful trip.

Highpower1
Old November 12, 2001, 01:46 AM   #5
Zorro

So Ends the Lie!

So Ends the Lie! that a heavy Modern 45-70 load is too weak for Dangerous Game!

Works just as well on Big Bears.

Still for Browns and Polar Bears .458 Winchester Magnum is not a bad idea.
Old November 12, 2001, 03:09 AM   #6
Bud Helms

Seeing how big these ill-tempered beasts are, it kinda gives new meaning to one of Murphy's Laws of War. To wit, "When the enemy's in range, so are you!" Whoa!

Quote:
There would be no time for second shots. He came at a dead run, his head high, offering only his nose and boss as targets. At marital distance he dropped his great head for the rush, his horns framing the limits of my future, his sloped forehead finally visible. I snapped the little 45-70 to my cheek and and centered on the tip of the front post, the rear Ashley Ghost Ring near invisible to my eye. The words of others came in a rush:

"45-70 isn't enough gun"

"Front sight...press"

Then, seemingly from nowhere, came the explosion and the punch. The Buff.....
Well, it seems the buff made his next appearance on TFL. Rich, quit teasing us. You know the job's not over until the paperwork is done! More!

************ edit ************

That's quite a set of choppers on the warthog. How big was he?

BTW, the pic of the Hartebeest and the Blaser is a classic! Beautiful.
Old November 12, 2001, 09:02 AM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Sensop-
I hope you know that passage was me doing a bad Capstick impression....seasoned with a large dollup of Literary License.
Rich
Old November 12, 2001, 09:07 AM   #8
BigG

Outstanding bag, Rich! Am I correct in assuming all 3 buffs one shot kills thru the heart? Guess that settles the question of is 45/70 enuff for buff with a resounding yes!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old November 12, 2001, 10:25 AM   #9
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Big G-
Actually, no. Those who have hunted with me know that I detest statements like "Oh, he was dead with the first shot. I only shot him 3 more times because....." By the time the Hunter returns to camp, the statement becomes "It was a one shot kill". Personally, I believe tags should be available for such species....they are more dangerous to the novice hunter than Buff.

The pic above was, in fact a 1 shot kill. This was because the PH's and Scout believed that I had hit high in the leg, based on the Buff's reaction. Since it was my first Buff, they wanted to make certain we gave it plenty of time to separate from the herd. We waited one full cigarette (15 minutes) before starting out. It was found within 100 yards of the shoot, graveyard dead.

The other two Buff were first round heart shots but hardly dead. (I say this in context of the fact that my best shooting was with the 45-70. However, I also blew my share of shots...poorly hitting the reedbuck, an impala and blowing a number of follow up shots).

In the case of the other two buff, the stalks started more quickly: 10 minutes. One was hit 3 more times and another required a 500 yard, running, reloading gun battle during which it took 6 more hits including chest, gut, Texas Heart and, finally cervical spine.

This is not to say that the 45-70 can't quickly dispatch a Buff. Shoulder joint shots will generally bring one down, as well as a brain or spine shot. Yours truly is simply not that adept....yet (I keep practicing). However, the shoots demonstrate that the 45-70, with proper bullets, can absolutely reach the vital stuctures and destroy them completely.
Rich
Old November 12, 2001, 11:42 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Beautiful buffalo, Rich!

What's the tip to tip spread? About 36", with a outside to outside of about 45? It's hard to guess from the picture.

How long is it going to take to get the head & hide back to the states? What did you decide to do with the hide? Rug?

Molon Labe, you'd probably go catatonic if you were to read some of the first person hunting stories from people who actually settled in Africa at the turn of the century... Regularly shooting buffs with .303 British or 8mm Mauser...

And, of course, Karamajo Bell culling elephant with 6.5 and 7mm calibers!

Loaded to its full potential, the .45-70 is a formidable cartidge.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 12, 2001, 02:26 PM   #11
HankB

Quote:
At marital distance he dropped his great head for the rush...
Marital distance? Hmmm . . . reminds me of a blind date I once had with a girl from Buffalo . . . never did figure out what her other parent was!

Seriously, that's a nice buff - solid looking boss, good curls.

Browsed your pix . . . that's a mighty fine looking eland you've got!

Congrats . . .
Old November 12, 2001, 02:31 PM   #12
Molon Labe!

There are reports of people killing elephants with .303, I don't know why, but Buffs are way scarier then elephants to me. Give me a mortar to take a buff, give me a 9mm to take a elephant....
Old November 12, 2001, 04:15 PM   #13
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Mike-
To be honest, I never measured. I'm a trophy hunter but not an anal one. Fact is I don't even belong to SCI, though I will join because of the Eland.

HankB's got a good eye. That Eland measures out at the #2 ever taken...possibly #1, as the PH's intend to have the current record certified. I'll join SCI in fairness to the PH's, as it gives them some good press.

The mounts will probably take 6-8 months...they're being done in RSA. Yup, rug for the hide. Shoulder mount on that buff. The second will be a Euro mounted shotgun rack and the horns from the third will be used for wall hooks.
Rich
Old November 12, 2001, 06:13 PM   #14
Long Path

Overheard by visitors at Lucibella Manor:

"Where's the bathroom in this joint?"

"I told you: it's down the hall, through the foyer, and take a right at the first buffalo."

"Wait. Which buffalo? I took a right at the 2nd buffalo, tried to find my way back, took a left at a buffalo, only to find that this was a 3rd buff. I think I'll just pee in that potted palm, over there..."
Old November 13, 2001, 12:00 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Uh...

Don't do that, Long Path.

The 4th buffalo is live, and it's kind of protective of the house.

Rich raised it from a calf after it followed him home from school one day...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 13, 2001, 07:48 PM   #16
ed mason

good job rich,i know you had a good time.could we get some pics closeup of the guns?I am wondering what that peice is around the lever?How did the sig hold up?
Old November 14, 2001, 12:15 AM   #17
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Ed-
Photos of the Blaser:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=80143

The DRC 45-70 has yet to be set for photos. The wrap on the lever was done by our very own Luigi Alessi. It's a definite bone saver!
Rich
Old November 14, 2001, 03:44 AM   #18
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Rich,

Somebody better tell that baboon that smoking is bad for his health.

Great pics, and I think that is one MEAN looking 45-70 (noticed the extra recoil sheilding on the lever).

Really Rich, looks like you had a great time and good hunting.
Old November 14, 2001, 12:37 PM   #19
RobCon

Rich, the eland is SPECTACULAR! And the baboon pic is classic.
Best, Rob
Old November 14, 2001, 02:37 PM   #20
Correia

Wow! Those are some neat pictures. That Eland looks like a horse.
Old November 14, 2001, 07:47 PM   #21
ed mason

so the blaser held up well?any reported problems yet?can I assume that you could still use the original factory scope mounts and have a two in one rifle.?
Old November 14, 2001, 11:51 PM   #22
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Ed-
Yup. The Blaser will swap between the factory and Scout scopes in about a minute...and I'll guarantee the Scout will reattach at less than a minute of error from original zero. Kinda cool.
Rich
Old November 19, 2001, 01:06 AM   #23
OkieGentleman

The hunt of a life time! I am jealous, I always wanted to do that, now I am too old and broken down. Blind in one eye and cannot see good out of the other.
Old December 4, 2001, 05:53 AM   #24
MP-44

What loads were you using in the 45-70?
Old December 5, 2001, 09:17 PM   #25
Jeff, CA

Sensop, where did that quote come from? Did I miss the writeup?