The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 4, 2001, 10:38 PM   #1
hjk_rick

Ithaca Model 37 Question

I'm considering buying my friend's Ithaca pump. It's a 16 and I'm wondering which reciever Ithaca built 16's on, 12 or 20 gauge?

Also, is a sixteen more or less desirable than the other gauges?

Thanks in advance,
RICK
Old November 5, 2001, 12:09 AM   #2
Coronach

Define 'desirable.'

The 12 has more oomph, the 20 has less kick. All three will probably get the job done, but the 16 will be the most expensive to feed.

All depends what you want it to do and how you plan on using it.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old November 5, 2001, 12:25 AM   #3
Bam Bam

Depends also on price and availability of ammunition.
Old November 5, 2001, 05:27 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I like the 16 a lot, and regard it as close to optimum for an upland gun. But, ammo can be hard to find, and the selection can be quite limited. Finding a 16 ga load that has top grade components can be a challenge unless one reloads. As for as I know, there's no 16 ga equivalent for the 3dr, 1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2s trap load that serves as a terrific upland load in 12 ga.

In your shoes,I'd probably buy that Ithaca,but I'd have a few 12s around for ammo versatility.
Old November 5, 2001, 07:59 PM   #5
Gopher

http://www.ithacagun.com./

Might find the answer there.
Old November 5, 2001, 09:32 PM   #6
hjk_rick

Thanks to all for your comments / Charlie's throwing in five boxes of shells so I'm going to take it.

Rick
Old November 6, 2001, 07:57 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It's a good shotgun, Rick, enjoy. 5 boxes is just a trip to the range. Save those empties,buy a MEC 600 and some components and shoot more for less lucre.

Briley and others will thread that bbl for tubes, but while this is a nice idea, it's not crucial. What choke do you have?

If memory serves, there's a #1 buck load for the 16 from Federal that's been quite good in some friend's 16s.
Old November 6, 2001, 10:02 PM   #8
hjk_rick

The gun has a plain barrel with polychoke - 25 inches over all length. The plan is to shoot rabbit and grouse with it.

Do you have any thoughts on the polychoke?

Rick
Old November 6, 2001, 10:36 PM   #9
Kingcreek

about those rare 16g shells...

When I got my first 16g I was concerned about the lack of factory loads. So much so, that I bought 16g shells every time I found some. Armloads of 'em. I quit buying after I accumulated over 3 cases of various loads. I still see boxes on shelves of retail sporting goods stores and Kent now has new factory loads as well as the Bismuth line.
No opinion on the polychoke but I have always loved the mod 37. I only have 3 of them at this time.
Old November 7, 2001, 06:33 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Polychokes, if installed correctly, are fine. Sometimes they're put on non concentrically, and adversely affect POI. Patterning is, as always, crucial.

Also, the actual choke may or may not correspond to the markings. Test it, and maybe use nail polish or leftover Testor's Enamel to mark it properly....
Old November 9, 2001, 04:29 PM   #11
bismark

16 ga shells are anything but rare. It's a great round, and there are plenty of sastisfied customers that will keep it arround for the next 50 years.