The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 25, 2001, 08:55 PM   #1
irishjack

Questions on best caliber for deer

What would be the best caliber for deer, .50 or .54? The rifle will be primarily used by my wife who is somewhat recoil sensitive. Is there much difference in effectiveness between the two calibers using a good conical bullet? TIA
Old October 26, 2001, 10:21 AM   #2
jpm63

I don't think you will find much difference for whitetailed deer. Either caliber will work fine with roundball or conical. Some will say that the roundball works better. I'll leave that up to your research.

A 50 cal has the advantage of supplies being very easy to obtain, just about all Walmart type stores cary 50 cal stuff. 54 cal materials are a bit harder to find.

If you plan to hunt anything larger than deer, the 54 will be the best bet. If using roundball, almost no difference in felt recoil.

JPM