The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 12, 2001, 10:51 AM   #1
JGIORD

Intro and question

Greetings everyone, A friend from my cigar site recommended this board and I have spent the last day or two doing a tremendous amount of reading and knowledge gathering.

I am in the process of looking for my first weapon for home defense. I would like to get a sxs or o/u shotgun and am trying to track down a Stoeger Coach gun. I do like the size and manuverability of the shortened barrel.

Could someone tell me the best way to go about obtaining one, since non of my local stores seem to carry them. Also what would be a fair price for these and what are its top competitors.

Also, can someone tell me how to quickly identify a ported barrel? Will I see holes in the barrel? This is something I wish to avoid, based on what I have read so far.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Old October 12, 2001, 11:34 AM   #2
ENC

Welcome to TFL

I can't answer most of your questions, but a ported barrel will have holes in it.

they should be quite obvious On my Mossberg 835 ultimag there are (seems like) nine holes on either side of the Vent Rib. They appear to be about 1/2 to 2/3 the diameter of a std. BB
Old October 12, 2001, 12:18 PM   #3
Dave R

JGIORD, welcome to TFL!

Yes, ported barrels have visible holes. You'll know.

I would imagine a full-service gun store would be willing to order one for you?? Another alternative it to contact Stoeger directly and ask for a referral to a dealer in your state. Here is their website. There is a dealer locator by zip code on this page. If there is not a dealer in your zip code, try any zip code in your state. Any dealer in your state would be willing to make the sale to you.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/shotgun_facts/

Many folks would recommend a pump shotgun for HD, simply because it will hold more shells.

There is also the advantage of easy barrel swaps. If you buy a Remington 870, or Mossberg, or Winchester 1300 in HD configuration, it will come with an 18" barrel. You can then buy a 22" barrel (or whatever length you prefer) for hunting. You can literally swap barrels in 30 seconds with no tools.

However, there is nother wrong with a short-barrel double for HD. Its just not an ideal tool for all the other things a shotgun can do.
Old October 12, 2001, 01:13 PM   #4
JGIORD

Thanks for the info and the link.
Old October 12, 2001, 01:22 PM   #5
Will Beararms

I know you prefer an o/u or sxs but...........

Please consider a Remington 870 with a 20" or so barrel. Go to www.remington.com for more info. I gurantee you that you will get more gun for the money, greater capacity for more shots and if you desire, you can get a longer barrel later for trap, skeet or hunting.
Old October 12, 2001, 02:56 PM   #6
Aahzz

Jgiord, welcome aboard!
Old October 12, 2001, 03:19 PM   #7
Cavè Canem

I would say the MB500A with a 20" bbl and a 7 + 1 capacity. You can pick them up for dirt cheap. I think I paid $250 for mine but it came with some toys.