The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 10, 2001, 10:41 AM   #1
wolf 1415

870 accessories?

I did it. I bought an 870 w/ the mag extension factory installed.

It's awesome. (insert Chris Farley Inflection here)

I want a light on it, and some other cool ideas.

What are my options?
"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with Army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege." Wilson vs. State, Ark. 1878
Old October 10, 2001, 04:14 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Lots of options, Wolf. But....

You have,w/o any further additions or modifications, one awesome(Insert W C Fields nasalities) shotgun, ah yes....

Buy a messa ammo.Shoot it up and have fun. Repeat repeatedly....

After ONE year, you'll have a better idea of what would enhance your weapon's performance, and not just suck cash away like three ex-wives.You'll probably be surprised how good you've become sans the bells and whistles. At best, the gizmos and gadgets add 10% to effectiveness. You supply the rest.

A coupla things you could do now without angering the 870 Gods include getting that stock fitting right,having a smith tweak the trigger to something like 3 lbs, and upgrading the pad.

Another is a light. I admit I'm not fond of them, but target ID is crucial. Surefire gets a lot of praise, but I'll leave this to folks who know more than I.
Old October 10, 2001, 04:47 PM   #3
wolf 1415

Thanks for the info. What pad upgrades are available?
"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with Army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege." Wilson vs. State, Ark. 1878
Old October 10, 2001, 05:11 PM   #4
9mmMike

I am also interested in pads. I put an Uncle Mike's (no relation) on mine and it is too grippy. The darn thing grabs at my shirt or jacket every time I mount. The fact that it added a bit too much length only aggravates the situation.
Is there a pad that I could use that would replace the stock pad and still give a wee more kick-relief?
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old October 10, 2001, 08:40 PM   #5
JNewell

Hmm, not sure I want to step in where Dave fears to tread, but...

Lights. I think there are big issues with weapons-mounted lights, too. You MUST have a separate hand-held light, and not just for administrative tasks. Anyway...there are 13,462 options out there but the only one that will shine bright every time and not do something goofy at the worst possible time, like blow a bulb or just blow off, is the SureFire Responder. If you go that route, you will need about $200, but it will be a good value. Get the one that has both momentary and constant-on switches, because you may need to operate it one handed (I think it's the "F" model).

Safeties. (Safetys? Back to school for me.) A big-head safety allows you to get the SG off safe rapidly without losing the registration of your index finger (for RH users, anyway) by using the bottom section of that finger. The biggest in the business, and therefore the best IMO, is Hans Vang's. Costs all of $10, worth every penny.

Pads. I am using a Pachmayr Decelerator pad that's .8" (a little less pull is good, even if you have 36" sleeves) and has a hard insert at the top so it is less likely to catch on clothing as you mount the SG. I've used it in training and it does work as advertised. And, the Decelerators are very good at absorbing recoil.

A final thought on lights. At best, I think they're a necessary evil. If you go all out and add a mag extension and a SureFire Responder you will really change the balance of the SG. The weight helps absorb recoil, but it's all out front. OK, so add a sidesaddle and get yet more weight in the back...? By that point, you will buy another and leave it unaccessorized just so you can remind yourself how nice your Hammer of Thor used to handle!
Old October 10, 2001, 09:52 PM   #6
Coronach

He's right. Our new cruiser guns have lots of bells and doo-dads, some needed, some not. All in all they make a nice gun, but the damn thing handles all funky now.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old October 11, 2001, 12:16 AM   #7
fed168

A couple things I have on mine: a light, good sights, and a bigger safety. The light is a Sure Fire dedicated mount, the sights on a slug barrel (smoothbore), and a safety I can feel without concern. Oh, and a high visibility follower.
Old October 11, 2001, 12:32 AM   #8
Interlude

Might want to go for one of the el-cheapo MiniMag mounts available at rangerjoe's. It costs $35 rather than $200 and is easily removable if you don't need a light.
Old October 11, 2001, 07:16 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Interlude, my smith buddy says that the Maglite averages about 10 shots before the bulb busts. I had one, briefly. I doubt I got to 10.

One of the Decelerator pads is a great choice, but the stock Rempad is not really all that bad. Getting the stock fitting right is the trick.

Also, for those to whom esthetics are secondary to performance, mount a pad and leave it unfitted to the stock. It'll look a bit wierd, but the larger surface area will reduce the push at any one point.

As for balance.....

Adding a mag extension makes the muzzle heavier and aids control, within reason. Since a Side Saddle sits right between the hands, it doesn't affect handling nearly as much as weight added to either end.

An extended mag shotgun with an equal amount of weight added to the back end handles better than one with all the weight forward, the pig on a snow shovel analogy the Technoid is fond of applies.

If your shotgun seems sluggish after adding that extension, light, and bayonet, add some weight under the pad. Current favorite is by filling a trash hull with #8 1/2 shot, crimping shut and inserting in the stock bolt hole. Pad it so it cannot shift and you've got an even heavier gun but one that's closer to balanced.

And the best way to get used to the balance and handling is,of course , familiarization, Mount it on days you do not shoot, shoot it frequently, and you may be surprised how good it feels and how the targets get destroyed PDQ. When it feels like a body part instead of a tool, you're there...

Last edited by Dave McC; October 11, 2001 at 07:41 AM.
Old October 11, 2001, 09:33 AM   #10
Coronach

In lieu of a sidesaddle, consider either 1. a buttcuff or 2. a speedfeed stock. I'm aware that neither are ideal ammo-carriers for most people, but it will give you more on-board ammo and more weight aft to help balance.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein