The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 5, 2001, 10:35 PM   #1
CMR

.375 Winchester

Any thoughts on this Caliber? "Good cartridge" or "pass on it" ? Saw one for $200 been thinking about it..is it worth it? Is the caliber at its end of productivity? Would it be worth getting...use it for deer, of course..brush conditions.
Old September 6, 2001, 12:59 AM   #2
Zorro

Never used one and the caliber isn't real popular.

The only reason to get it would be if the RIFLE is exceptional.
Old September 6, 2001, 06:10 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

The only drawback I'm aware of would be getting ammo. By all reports, this was a good cartridge, but it's discontinued.

Giz
Old September 6, 2001, 05:29 PM   #4
Bud Helms

It is an excellent cartridge for out as far as the 30-30 and far more devastating to the target ... but then, I like big bullets. It is very (VERY) close in dimensions to the .38-55. An older, BP cartridge, quite famous for accuracy.

You didn't say what rifle you found in this chambering, unless you meant a Winchester rifle. The cartridge name is .375 Winchester too.
Old September 9, 2001, 12:45 PM   #5
Keith Rogan

What a weird coincidence! I just swapped a pistol for a .375 Winchester this week. I've wanted one of these for years and have been waiting for a "deal" on one to come along.
This is an excellent cartridge that just came along at the wrong time. It's good out to about 200 yards for just about any big critter in North America. If you reload, you can shoot big flat-nosed Barnes bullets up to 250 grains, or you can just opt for 200 grain Winchester factory ammo which is plenty for anything up to and including elk.

You got an excellent deal for $200. Stock up on factory ammo now, because it may not be around much longer.