The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 1, 2001, 06:33 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

Steel shot in a Winchester model 25

I'm thinking about trading for a Winchester model 25, that's sitting in a local gunshop, to hunt waterfowl with this fall. I have in the past hunted mostly with muzzleloaders and double barrel breechloaders with bismuth shot, but as a graduate student I'm not feeling rich enough to purchase bismuth to use in these guns this year so, I was thinking about trading for the Winchester to use temporarily. Would steel shot damage it too much if I restricted it to #2's or smaller?
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old September 2, 2001, 06:07 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Alex, IMO, you'd be better off skipping lunch to get some decent non tox loads.

Small steel shot is nothing I want to throw at a live bird.

And, why trade off a shotgun you like? You may regret that later. Been there, done that,still kicking myself....
Old September 2, 2001, 08:36 PM   #3
Alex Johnson

Thanks, actually I hadn't planned on trading off one of my shotguns but rather a .380 pistol that I have little use for. I do agree with you on the questionable use of small steel shot, I have used it in the past and had OK luck with it, but probably only because the shots I took were under 30 yards over decoys, since that is the style of hunting I'm used too with blackpowder. Once again thanks for your input.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old September 2, 2001, 09:27 PM   #4
Dan Morris

Having had a M25, I liked it better than a M12. Using Bismuth
instead if steel should present no problems.....I think you will love it.
Dan