The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 16, 2001, 02:00 PM   #1
Ben Acre

Savage A220 .410 Shotgun

I am interested in finding out as much as I can about this model of shotgun.

I saw one of these at a friends house and I was interested in finding out how rare they are. I am interested in buying one for my collection, if not too difficult to find, so I will have it when I have grand children.

I am interested if they come with or without a hammer, or both. I am most interested in the hammerless version. Less likely for a youngster to misfire do to thumb slipping off half cocked hammer. Happened to me when I was 13, 16 guage, and it left a great impression.

I am interested in value. How do I determine the value. The gun I saw was very tight, no wobble in any of the moving parts, but fairly easy to break open.

I am interested when they were first produced, how long, and when production ended.

Ben
Old August 16, 2001, 07:30 PM   #2
Steven Mace

Ben, the Savage Model 220 shotgun was made in mutiple variations from 1938-1972. This was a utilitarian grade single-shot shotgun that was offered in 12, 16, 20 and 28ga. as well as .410 bore. The Model 220 was a hammerless design with auto ejector having barrel lengths ranging 26"-32". A Savage Model 220, depending on variation, in excellent condition might be worth about $65-$125. The Model 220 would definitely be considered a shooter versus a collectible. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old August 17, 2001, 11:54 AM   #3
Ben Acre

Savage Model 220A

More information about the .410 I am interested in getting information on.

On the barrel
Selected Forged Steel
Savage Arms Corporation
Proof Tested 410 Gauge

On the hinge frame
Savage Model 220A
Savage Arms Corporation
Chioopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A.

I have not been able to find out anything about it.
Old August 17, 2001, 01:42 PM   #4
johnbt

They did make a bunch of variations, but they all have similar features. I'm still looking for an A, found an AC.

Well, the Blue Book shows the 220(top lever) made from '38 to '65 and the 220L(side lever) from '65 to '72. The 220P has a poly choke, but wasn't made in .410. The 220AC has a Savage adj. choke. That's about it for the Blue Book.

Let's try another book:

Barrel-Special grade steel, proof-tested. Full choke. Chambered for 2.75", except 3" for .410. Bbl. length on .410=26"

Action-Hammerless. Automatic top tang safety. Two-way top lever for right or left-hand shooters. Swinging lock cams against the bbl. lug to provide extra stregth and wear take-up in lock-up area. Auto ejector. Extra wide extractor and unbreakable coil springs.

Frame-Case-hardened finish and takedown.

Stock-Select walnut, full pistol grip. Length 14", drop 1.5" at comb, 2.5" at heel. Wide fore-end has spring tension fastener to prevent shooting loose. Corregated butt plate.

Weight-About 6 pounds.Length overall, 42" to 46"(depending on guage and bbl. length), takedown 6" to 30".

Price: $40.50

Doesn't everyone have a copy of the 1967 Shooter's Bible?

I'll keep looking.

John
Old August 17, 2001, 02:25 PM   #5
Ben Acre

Savage A220 .410 Shotgun

John,

Again, thanks for the information. I am a beginner at collection and have never heard of the publication you mention. I will try to find one immediately.

I have a few weapons that have been passed down to me.

Remington 1100 - given to me when my father passed away.

Mauser - 8mm - given to me when my grandfather passed away. Supposedly he used it during the war.

Ruger 22 pistol - purchased by my father in the late 60s.

Smith & Wesson 38 - Military version - Received from a widow whose husband was a flight surgeon. I got the whole package. Pistol, loaded with flare rounds when given, with shoulder holster, web belt with flight goods in it (silk maps of Japanese Islands, aircraft light bulbs and fuses), Dr bag with all supplies from era, to include drugs he would have used. All these items were in a trunk.

20 Gauge Pump - Christmas present when 12 years old. Used many times before going to military, now in storage.

12 Gauge Single Shot - Make and model unknown at this time. Gift from a friend.

I recently went to a gun show in Dale City, VA, with a friend of mine and it sparked a great interest in collecting. Any help would be appreciate, especially at the beginning.
Old August 18, 2001, 09:47 AM   #6
johnbt

I haven't found anything else on the Savage yet.

I was kidding about everybody having a '67 Shooter's Bible. I've been dragging this one around since '67 and actually find a use for it every so often.

If you're looking for a reference book, I suggest starting with Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values. I just bought the new 22nd Edition on sale at CDNN Investments for $23.99(plus shipping, but I was buying pistol mags anyway.) The cover price is $34.95, but it is 1600 pages of history and prices.

www.store.yahoo.com/cdnn/twenedbluboo.html

John

(edited to add www.)
Old November 24, 2007, 01:12 PM   #7
mikenbarb

Savage 220A 20 ga. single barrel

I have the same gun as mentioned and i also inhereted it from my father and he inhereted from his father and now my son started hunting with it. 4 generations and countless dinners provided with it and it still works great! The 220A also had Rifle barrels as an optional purchase at that time and i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get one? I have access to a great gunsmith with a full machine shop and fitting wouldnt be a problem. I contacted Savage arms and they sold the rights to it to a company in florida and they dont have any for it. Im looking for any caliber barrel cappable of harvesting deer size animals.
Old November 24, 2007, 08:00 PM   #8
johnbt

Gun Parts Corp. lists 4, BUT they are sold out - check back regularly.

The four are .22 hornet, .25-20, .32-20 and .30-30. From what I've just read while surfing around, the barrels from all the Model 219 and 220 guns are interchangeable and probably some of the other models fit also.

John
Old December 23, 2007, 03:14 PM   #9
stmichps

The Savage 220 is a great little shotgun that should give you and future grandchildren years of fun. But with that said, I would stay away from the .410 as only the most experience shooter I have found has been able to hit anything with that gauge. I would suggest a 20 or a 16 gauge as these would give you the pattern that you'll need but not thump you like the 12.

I have had 2, 16 gauge Savage 220s; both have shown use but were in good (70%) shape. At the time I got them they cost me around $80.00 each from a local gun shop. I got the chance to pickup a 20 gauge (220A) and didn't hesitate to trade one of the 16s for it. The other 16 I gave to a friend as I prefer the 20 over the 16. I've since haven't seen one on any of the gun shops that I go to shelves?

While I was looking for one I have noted pricing ranging from $80-$150 depending on condition and gauge.

As far as an investment I would recommend that you save your pennies and look for a nice Ithaca or L. C. Smith double. But if you would like a nice but cheap shotgun to pop rabbits, squirrels or an occasional small bird, I don’t think you could go wrong with the Savage 220.