The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 30, 2001, 07:46 AM   #1
scoops

shot an old browning this past weekend.

wow my shoulder took a beating.it was a old model 5 i think,the one with the hump back.anyhow i was told these guns kick hard due to the recoiling barrel.no thank you ill keep my rem 1100.much more gental.
Old July 30, 2001, 07:49 AM   #2
BigG

They kick hard but they never fail, at least I never saw one fail. Another example of the design genius of John Moses, overbuilt in all areas. Nice gun!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 30, 2001, 11:50 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Nice guns, those A-5s. Never could shoot one well, but others sure did. An all time classic. And about as sensitive and fragile as a crowbar.

Gas guns like the 1100 are great for folks who shoot a lot or are recoil sensitive. Combined with a little gunsmithing on cone and choke,serious reduction in pain,little reduction in performance.
Old July 30, 2001, 06:03 PM   #4
Kingcreek

They do kick a little more. One reason is the angle of the stock to bore, I think. Also as mentioned it is recoil op vs gas.
Another thing is sometimes people don't have the spring and washers in properly for the load.
They are real pretty tho. I've got a "sweet 16" and a "mag 20".
Old July 30, 2001, 07:43 PM   #5
Turk

I've shot a Browning A-5 Lt. 12 since 1972. My father-in-law gave it to me and purchased in the mid 50's. Yes, they do kick a little more than a gas gun. But they are like the Durcell bunny they keep on shooting and shooting. Last year decided to retire the A-5 and purchase a Benelli Super Black Eagle. The SBE is a good gun but now I wish I'd hunted for a NIB A-5 3". As my father in law once said there are good shot guns then there are Browning A-5's. He purchase his in 1946 and still hunts with it.

Turk
Old July 30, 2001, 10:39 PM   #6
Captain Bligh

I also shot an A-5 Lt. 20 for over 25 years. I never considered the recoil harsh at the time. However, when I stepped up to a 12 gauge 870, I was surprised that the perceived recoil seemed less to me that the A-5.

I concur that the A-5 is a wonderful gun. It now rests semi-retired in a hallowed corner of my gun case.

RJ
Old July 31, 2001, 03:26 AM   #7
blarney

Hi all! Just noticed all this talk about Browning Auto-5s and I happen to recently inherit one, though it needs a new barrel. Any one interested? Anyone know where I could find a barrel?
- Deuteronomy 32:41
Old July 31, 2001, 07:39 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Blarney, try Browning, they may either have one or be able to guide you to an aftermarket supplier.

Or try Gun Parts Corp.

A note posted here down the Forum list for rifles and shotguns may find you one also.
Old July 31, 2001, 08:58 AM   #9
HarryB

Cabelas sells barrels for the Auto5.

www.cabelas.com

specifically

http://www.cabelas.com/texis/scripts...8AAAjAD/XA645M
Old August 4, 2001, 05:38 AM   #10
scoops

someone told me that browning must have had a spring or some dodad wrong because he said the a5 should shoot milder than any other SG??????
NOT SURE about his info because i shot a savage clone of the a5 and it kick like a bitch in heat also