The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 17, 2001, 08:44 PM   #1
bullfrog99

only one shotgun, which style?

if you were to own only one shotgun(12 ga) , which style would you get, a semi auto, pump, sxs, over under or whatever. I am stuck between a sxs and a pump mossberg, which style would you get?
Old July 17, 2001, 09:46 PM   #2
Mikey

I chose the Benelli M1 Super 90

Recoil operated semi-auto (no gas ports to clog), high capacity, great tactical features (load select etc), accessories out the kazoo, every barrel and choke option you could want. Plus it makes a nice light weight field gun.

Mikey
Old July 17, 2001, 10:16 PM   #3
fed168

I have gone through several shotguns over the years, and keep coming back to one: the 870. I am partial to pumps, although I like some of the semis.
Giving an example, mine fits all the roles it may need: slug gun, bird gun, social shotgun. The only thing I need to do is switch parts and put others back on and there you go.
My experiences with Mossy's are not the best. Too many parts in the break down of the weapon IMO, but the thing going for it to me is the safety. I like to see where it is at.
Don't opt out the 870, or any Remington for that matter.
Old July 17, 2001, 10:42 PM   #4
Coronach

Remington 870

Why?

1. Robust/reliable. The police use them, and while this usually means 'made by lowest bidder,' in this case it means 'able to take 20 years of crippling abuse and still go BOOM on demand.'

2. Economical. The police use them. This means that if its not made by the lowest bidder, its damn well close.

3. Smoooooooooooth Action. Yes, semis are faster, but not by a whole heck of a lot.

4. Accessories out the arse.

5. Simple manual of arms.

I would go with a pump over a semi. I don't care how reliable the semi is, it is FAR more likely to hiccup than a decent pump, especially if you use non-standard ammo, are not keeping it clean, or- in the case of recoil operated guns- doing things that affect recoil.

I would go with a pump over a sxs. sxs's are nice, but by definition you get 2 tries before you need to reload.

I would go with the 870 over the Mossberg, but this is personal preference. I think the 870 is exceeded by the Mossy in no area except maybe economy, and the 870 is (IMHO) more durable. JMO. The mossy isn't bad, though...if I had to use one in lieu of an 870 I would not feel poorly armed.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old July 18, 2001, 12:04 AM   #5
k77/22rp

UH OH! please dont say bad things about mossberg, I just bought a mossbeg 500 and have not had the chance to shoot it o well it sure was cheap!!!
Old July 18, 2001, 12:09 AM   #6
PreserveFreedom

Call me old fashioned, but I don't think there's much that can't be accomplished with a pump action shotgun. It is what I am comfortable with anyway. A lot has to do with preference.

Old July 18, 2001, 12:32 AM   #7
Ewok_Guy

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag
Old July 18, 2001, 08:10 AM   #8
PJR

One gun and one gun only?

Yikes, a terrible propostion. But my choice would depend on the gun's intended purposes. If clay shooting were a priority I would opt for a semi automatic. Although pump guns are fun, for the average shooter (that would be me) a semi is better for clays. My first choice as a clays-only semi would be a Beretta 391 but it's limited magazine and no provision for a magazine extension does not recommend it for HD. Therefore, for one shotgun only it would be an 11-87 with a 28" choke-tubed barrel for targets and a rifle-sighted smooth barrel for HD and a mag extension.

If I didn't shoot clays or didn't care about my score I would get an 870 with two barrels and a mag extension.
Old July 18, 2001, 08:27 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Whatever the mission calls for. As a generic, all purpose shotgun, the 870 shines. For Mossy and Winchester lovers, those are good second place winners also.

If an 870 has ever worn out, I haven't seen it. With accessories proliferating like weeds, one can set up an 870 for everything from clay games to WIHTF, and be WELL prepared for all of it.

While other shotgun styles have their good points, a case can be made that any shotgun battery w/o an 870 is sadly hampered and incomplete...
Old July 18, 2001, 09:32 AM   #10
DAVID NANCARROW

Remington 870 12 gauge. Accept no substitutes unless absolutely necessary!
Old July 18, 2001, 11:06 AM   #11
Marko Kloos

For an "only" shotgun, a good pump is hard to beat. Make mine a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. I'd even be content with a Benelli Nova. I don't like the Winchester 1300 series too much, but that's just personal preference.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old July 18, 2001, 11:14 AM   #12
BigG

Methinks I would go with a SxS or an O/U. They handle so much better than repeaters. YMMV
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 18, 2001, 05:32 PM   #13
Bam Bam

I would choose a Win 1300. Maybe a Nova or Fabarm pump if I had a chance to shoot one of them. It would be nice to shoot a Win Model 21 for comparison too. Basically I would go with a pump for reliability, ease of cleaning, etc. I have an O/U which I "luv" but don't fancy using it on "home defense" patrol. If you have a pump you can still bluff the BG one more time after the last shot.
Old July 18, 2001, 08:06 PM   #14
STEVE M

a Perazzi O/U. Then I could sell it and buy enough other shotguns to over all my needs
Old July 18, 2001, 10:10 PM   #15
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Pump

In particular a Remington 870 Marine Magnum!!!

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old July 19, 2001, 02:26 AM   #16
NINE

I have had a REM 870 Marine Magnum for 4 years now... it has no noticable signs of wear. I shoot light #6 shot, up to heavy 3 inch slugs with not a single problem. I've used it to shoot ducks and prairie chicken, to wild dogs. If I had to choose ONE gun... it would be this one.
Old July 19, 2001, 06:12 AM   #17
Cat

You mean some of you have more than one?

I'll stick with my Remington 1100.
Old July 19, 2001, 07:22 AM   #18
Herr Walther

PUMPUMPUMP

Ithaca M37 12ga.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 19, 2001, 08:28 AM   #19
huntsman

one shotgun ,which style?

A SxS if you can only have one ,might as well go in style
Old July 19, 2001, 04:11 PM   #20
AdrenalineJunky

What the h e l l ...

Browning B-25 custom
Old July 19, 2001, 04:31 PM   #21
CWL

I love my Remington 870 Marine Magnum as well!

Having said that, my Beretta 1201fp is more fun to shoot though.
Old July 21, 2001, 09:27 PM   #22
OkieCruffler

If I could only have one it would have to be a Stevens model 311. Right now I have 8 of them and wouldn't part with any of them.

BUt then again I have a really old friend of mine (he actually changed my nappies a few times) who only owns one gun, an 870, with a 28'' barrel with choke tubes and a 20 rifled slug barrel. He says why get a whole buncha guns when he can do anything he wants, in OKlahoma anyway, with that one shotgun.
Old July 26, 2001, 12:27 AM   #23
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

I have an 870 Express that I am selling to a friend in a few months.

Yes, it's a wonderful piece (with the smoothest action I think I've felt), but the safety is wrong...compared to my 3 Mossbergs!
Old July 26, 2001, 12:53 AM   #24
orangutan

one gun, why not many. one for trap.one for skeet, one for sporting. i like over and unders and am in the midst of buying a beretta DT 10 X.

well for all round use, home defence, field, clay. it has to be a pump remmie 870 militarised or mossie 590. any home intruder crazy enough to continue when facing the business end of a 870 or 590 pump deserves to be shot to maintain the intelligence of the general human gene pool.
Old July 26, 2001, 12:24 PM   #25
AMHsix

I like "combat guns"(home defense) so I'm going to say a Mossberg 590A1 w/ speedfeed stock.

Sporting shotgun: I don't know.