The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 5, 2001, 09:32 PM   #1
markmcj

I recently purchased a Remington 1100 for a game gun, and added the mag extention and cut the barrel down to 21.5 inches.
With light loads it will not always eject a spent hull. Around 1 in 10 rounds. With heavier loads , slugs and hunting loads it preforms perfectly. I know, if that stuff works use it , right. Well I think that my shotgun should eat what ever I feed it.
Anyways I'm wondering if I should wait awhile to let the shotgun get "broken" in {it only has about 300 rounds though it},or I am considering opening up the gas ports?
Any ideas fellas?
Old May 6, 2001, 01:13 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Markmcj, I wouldn't do anything to the gun just yet. Concentrate on holding the gun firmly into your shoulder. The 1100 is notorious for short cycling when it doesn't have something firm to recoil against. When a shotgun's felt recoil is as light as the 1100 it's very easy to relax a little. When you do that you have the problem you describe. George
Old May 6, 2001, 03:42 PM   #3
markmcj

I'll see. Thanks George.
Old May 8, 2001, 02:59 PM   #4
TMC

When you shortened the barrel you changed the volume of gas available to actuate the gas system. You may want to find out what size the gas ports are on a Rem. 22 inch barrel and check that aginst yours. You will probaly find that the ports are bigger. I have an 1100 with a ported barrel and an compensator. With so many holes in the barrel the gas ports had to opened up signifcantly to make the gun operate. Anytime you change any aspect of the barrel on a gas operated gun you will have to adjust the gas system for reliable operation especially with lighter loads.
Old May 8, 2001, 09:02 PM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't gas ring designed to be put on "one way for heavy loads, and "One way for light loads?

HJN
Old May 9, 2001, 07:59 PM   #6
WalterGAII

I have an 1100 20ga. Special Field, with a 21" barrel. You might want to check the specs for the gas port on the Special Field in 12 ga. and conform yours accordingly.
Old May 10, 2001, 11:58 AM   #7
Intel6

Harley,

Te ring swap thing is used on the Browning Auto 5 which is recoil operated. The 1100 is gas operated and the rings aren't changed.
Old May 10, 2001, 09:00 PM   #8
pepemarine

I WOULD NOT MODIFY THE PORT HOLES BECAUSE ONCE OPENED THEY CANNOT BE CHANGED BACK, I´VE A WICHESTER 1500 XTR THAT ALSO HAS A GAS SYSTEM AND HAD IT PORTED AND THE FORCING CONES DONE. IT SHOOTS LIKE A DREAM AND DIDN´T HAD TO MODIFY ANYTHING. CHECK GEORGE´S RECOMENDATION.