The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 30, 2001, 08:25 PM   #1
willp58

Hello, I have an old recipe for mixing a good barrel cleaner for copper fouling. it is: 1 oz. Ammonium persulphate, 200 gr ammonmium carbonate, 6oz. stronger ammonia, 4 oz. water. I tried to get the first ingredient at a drugstore, the ammonium persulphate and they never heard of it nor could they find it listed from their suppliers. Is there a substitute for that? The next ingredient is ammonium carbonate (they have that) but what is 200 gr? grains or grams?? thanks, willp
Old March 30, 2001, 09:12 PM   #2
johnwill

Personally, I would stick to commercial mixes, your ingredients list sure scares me!
Old March 30, 2001, 09:20 PM   #3
willp58

Are any of these elements dangerous?? Why are you scared? This recipe came from a publication from "The American Gunsmithing Association". think again, willp
Old March 30, 2001, 10:15 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, willp58

That is an old formula from the days of great glops of cupro-nickel fouling from the old bullet jackets, and I am surprised that it is given in any modern publication. With almost all jackets today being either gilding metal or mild steel, I don't think all that ammonia is necessary and it can itself be corrosive if it gets into inaccessible places, like under the stock. I agree with johnwill to stick to commercial stuff.

Of course, I should not need to caution about getting a strong ammonia solution anywhere near a nickel plated gun. It won't affect the nickel itself very much, but it will eat the copper undercladding used in most electro plating of nickel.

Jim
Old March 30, 2001, 11:33 PM   #5
Zorro

Barnes CR-10.

The stuff is PLENTY fierce!

DON'T breathe any!

You don't want to use anything stronger.