The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 7, 2001, 01:20 PM   #1
Matt VDW

Are the "Torx" type screws with the recess that looks like an asterisk really capable of being tightened more than slotted or hex head screws?

If so, why aren't they more popular?
Old March 7, 2001, 05:55 PM   #2
bergie

not really able to get them any tighter, but the bit is less likely to slip when loosening or tightening, compared to a straight slot. Compared to hex head, not really any difference except they will catch and hold more dirt.
bergie
Old March 7, 2001, 07:25 PM   #3
HankL

The torx type screw can be torqued down quite a bit more than the allen style in my experience. This is especially true when using the smaller sizes as used in scope rings and the like. I don't think that the full potential of the torx configuration is needed in scope mounting but you should never be frustrated by a rounded out screw head either.
Just my .02

Old March 7, 2001, 11:59 PM   #4
WalterGAII

I use nothing but torx screws for my scope mounts and rings. Hex screws are just too easy to round off; not so, with torx screws. Leupold recommends using a drop of oil on their torx ring and mount screws, rather than Loctite. Torx screws will take more torque than hex screws of the same size.
Old March 8, 2001, 09:51 AM   #5
LIProgun

I too am a big fan of Torx-head screws. Much harder to strip the heads, much harder to slip out of the head (as opposed to a screwdriver), and I think they can be torqued higher.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old March 8, 2001, 07:13 PM   #6
LoneStranger

I realize that this might be a silly question but when you are tightening screws do any of you use a torque wrench and do you have access to proper torque specifications?
Some time back there was a presentation where I worked in regards to torque on fasteners. Seems that what they were able to demonstrate was that after the first use of a properly torqued Grade 5 fastener its clamping ability went down on subsequent applications when torqued to the proper spec. This is why things just don't hold so well after they are worked on multiple times.
Having had numerous fasteners fold, bend, spindle and mutilate themselves do to my weak exertions I wonder about the rest having a similiar problem.
My understanding is that most allen/torx fasteners are presently rated Grade 8.
Old March 8, 2001, 07:41 PM   #7
HankL

Quote:
I realize that this might be a silly question but when you are tightening screws do any of you use a torque wrench and do you have access to proper torque specifications?
Yes, I do, but not in the case of putting scope ring halves together. I have never found a need to do anything other than pull the rings together firmly while keeping the scope in the alignment you wanted. I understand that Matt VDW posed a very open question
Old March 10, 2001, 12:39 AM   #8
LoneStranger

HankL
I agree that it was a very open question and I didn't feel like getting into a full discussion of what makes one fastener better than another.
Answer: It depends on what you are working with and what you are trying to achieve.
And in that "It depends" is one very large body of work with lots of answers with no one answer being totally right.