The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 8, 2001, 10:39 AM   #1
WoundChannel

I know this has probably been discussed a million times, but bear with me. Is it kydex, cowhide, roohide, nylon, cheap plastic, etc. And try to give the best attributes of your favorite. Thank you for your attention.
I heartily accept the motto,-"That government is best which governs least;" and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which I also believe,-"That government is best which governs not at all;" and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have.--Henry David Thoreau
Old February 9, 2001, 09:47 AM   #2
WoundChannel

Not one reply? There has to be someone out there with some advice. What are you guys using?
Old February 9, 2001, 09:57 AM   #3
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

For me that’s easy. Kydex wins hands down. Stronger, thinner (less bulk), water proof, form fitting which provides a greater level of retention then is possible with most other rigs and it “Breaks” clean and fast on the draw. All around; just a great material when combined with a well thought-out and executed holster.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old February 9, 2001, 12:43 PM   #4
CITADELGRAD87

I've been using a KYDEX Sidearmor for my G27 in IDPA.

Absolutely no complaints.

For anything other than IWB, though, I think I'd go with Horsehide, not only horsehide, but Kramer horsehide.

Traditionalist, I guess. I think it looks better, feels better, and is probably SLIGHTLY easier on the finish.

Plus it matches my belts.
Old February 9, 2001, 12:46 PM   #5
skevlar

Still like Leather especially Lou Alessi's work. Horsehide from Rusy Sherrick. In the Hot humid NE Summer's stick with Kydex but here the quality of construction REALLY varies. Therefore limit Kydex to KY-TAC, Cen-Dex & Mad Dog. These three Kydex makers all build their gear to the exact gun, not an aluminum slug, out of the thinnest Kydex practicable, making for a very compact holster with very little bulk especially compared to lesser makes. Also you won't find any sharp unfinished edges unlike others, the thick & bulky synthetic belt loops & snaps that allow their IWB's to change position while wearing or the thick sharp edged integral belt loops the "Stamped" appearing one-piece Kydex makers use. Both Cen-Dex & Mad Dog use very high strength SS rivits, opposed to the much weaker aluminum, and their holsters can be ordered specifing the level/strength of draw-retention you want. David Elderton's Ky-Tac uses tension screw adjustments with fine threads allowing true fine/micro adjustment that will not work loose once adjusted or require locktite to keep from losing the adj. screws unlike some of the other lesser brands.

[Edited by skevlar on 02-10-2001 at 11:03 AM]
Old February 9, 2001, 01:53 PM   #6
Gus~

Not sure what your application would be.

But for me it's leather.
Old February 9, 2001, 03:59 PM   #7
Cat

I have a few kydex holsters. They work real well. But I'm an old f#*t and just prefer leather. Although I have both kinds I still prefer blued firearms over stainless steel ones, wood over Kevlar stocks, etc.
Neil Casper
Old February 9, 2001, 11:24 PM   #8
SB

I really think it's just preference.

Admittedly, I am biased towards Kydex. I love Kydex. It's everything Scott Evans says it is . The only downside (if there is such a thing) is that you have to make sure the holster inside stays squeak clean. Otherwise, foreign substances such as sand can damage your gun. And, if it's flexed or stressed too much and too frequently somehow, it can start to crack and break (The J-hooks on my Bladetech IWB just broke recently). And of course, Kydex is like Polymer frames. You either love it or hate it I guess.

All the downside are relatively minor and not difficult to get around. Although I love the aesthetics of leather, Kydex/Concealex will always be my preferred choice of material.
Old February 10, 2001, 01:41 PM   #9
Javahed

Nylon with Kydex inside. Secure, quiet and comfortable. Dropleg over belt level.

Dan
Old February 11, 2001, 12:51 PM   #10
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Horsehide

It's VERY thin yet will take a beating.
Old February 11, 2001, 01:37 PM   #11
riddleofsteel

its all aplication my friend.
In a belt mounted CCW holster i will take leather anyday. Horsehide is nice and i own several hundred dollars worth of horsehide now but time has taught me that cowhide works just fine and is a lot cheaper.
For IWB or tactical uses Kydex has its advantages due to being sweat proof rugged and slick to insert in the pants.
Shoulder holsters are more practical made of leather IMHO.
Camping, hunting and wilderness carry it is hard to beat the much distained ballistic nylon holsters made popular by Uncle Mikes and similar companies. Just be sure they have an opening at the bottom to let out trash and water or have a flap over the top.