The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 3, 2013, 05:57 PM   #1
rebs

Bushnell Banner Scope ?

What are your opinions on a Bushnell Banner scope ?
Also what about a Tasco scope ?
Old May 3, 2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

I have a Banner 6x18. Great scope. It was clear, pulled in a ton of light and most importantly, it held zero perfectly on my 7mm Rem Mag.

There are better scopes, but for the money, I was very happy with it and would buy another one.

Tasco.... I've never had good luck with them.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:42 PM   #3
jmr40

Older Japanese made Tasco's were pretty good scopes for the money. I'm talking about 1970's-1990's. Newer Chinese made versions, not so much. They have earned the Trashco nickname.

The Bushnell Banners are in about the same category. The better Bushnell's are a decent scope.

At about $150 a Nikon Prostaff is about the bottom end for a decent scope. I cannot think of a less expensive scope I'd trust. Even then there are a lot of very good scopes selling for about $200. While the Prostaff is acceptable, $50 more gets a much better scope.

The Burris FF-II or Redfield Revolution would be my top picks in a budget priced scope. The Vortex Diamondback, Leupold VX-1, Bushnell Legend, Nikon Buckmaster, and Weaver Buck Commander are also possibilities.

Any of the scopes in the $100 and under price range MIGHT work, at least for a while, but if you ever move on up to a decent scope you'll understand why and never go back. And while that cheap scope MIGHT work, the odds are much better once you move up just a small step.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:55 PM   #4
gwhunran

Have used the Bushnell Banner and had no problems with them. I haven't had issues with any scope except Simmons.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Toolman

Happy So Far......

I had a Bushnell Banner Scope that had the crosshaires blow out after about 30 rounds from a .30 cal semi-auto. I told them the rifle it was mounted on. They said it should be OK. I had the same problem with that scope 3-more times......Cost me $10 each time to send it back. Finally I told them that scope was junk & I didn't want that scope back, period!!! They sent me a new scope that has worked good, so far.
Old May 5, 2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Doyle

Quote:
Newer Chinese made versions, not so much.
Understatement of the year. I wouldn't put a newer Tasco on even a .22LR.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:50 PM   #7
QuarterHorse

I have a Banner on my T/C Triumph muzzy. I'm very happy with it and am stacking 3 sabots @ 100 yards without issue.
Old May 19, 2013, 08:38 PM   #8
JerryM

It depends upon the use. For me when I hunted, I did not want the scope to fail in bad weather or other reason when/if I had an opportunity to bag a real trophy.

I have had scopes fog in the winter so I want a quality scope when I hunt.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old May 19, 2013, 08:57 PM   #9
silvrjeepr

Bushnell Banner Scope ?

I have an old tasco made in Japan that I would put up against anything on the market under $600. That being said, the new ones are better suited to BB guns. I have no first hand experience with the Bushnell, but I've heard a lot of good things about their other models.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Jevyod

I had a Bushnell Banner on my 260 Rem for about 7 years. It was a 6-18X50. I never had any problems with it ( fogging ect. ) and used it to bag a number of deer anwhere from 20-200 yards. It seemed to be a decent scope for the money.