The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 12, 2013, 02:13 AM   #1
mellow_c

I'm ready... but what should I buy?

Hey guys! I'm ready to buy my first suppressor. I picked up my Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD in .308 today, and after I get her all squared away (hopefully wont be long) I'll be ready to start the process of buying a suppressor.

I really dont know much at all about these things. But I think I have a vague idea of what I'd like to get. I've seen suppressors that you can put on the end of the barrel and give them a quarter or half turn and they basically lock in place, and I think that has something to do with an already attached muzzle brake. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This allows for a quicker and more secure attachment, as well as consistent alignment of the suppressor so that if the suppressor does change the bullets point of impact, it will be consistent which may not be the case if you are simply threading it on.

I'd like a quality suppressor... is this something that I can expect to last the life of the gun?

I've had a hard time finding relevant information on exactly what I should be looking for or buying. I would very much appreciate some help and suggestions. If someone has a set up similar to what I'm looking for, it would be a great help if they could fill me in on what to buy and why. I'll figure out all the legal stuff on my own.
Old January 12, 2013, 05:43 PM   #2
David Hineline

Std thread mount is fine for bolt action rifle.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:39 PM   #3
tmorone

Check out Advanced Armament stuff.

I've got a Remington 700 that I had threaded and attached an AAC muzzle brake/51t mount. That with a can is a great setup. Fun to shoot/ quiet.

The suppressor that mounts to it is an AAC SDN-6, and it's the "ratchet mount" like you mentioned. A few quick turns and it's mounted up solid, then when you take it off there's still a muzzle brake that TOTALLY tames the rifle.

Additionally- the SDN-6 will mount to their 5.56 mounts so you can put it on any AR platform too, including .300 blk. Nothing but good things to say about mine (if you didn't catch that already).

Good luck!