The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 25, 2012, 06:00 PM   #1
ezmoney

AR not cycling correctly

In a gas operated AR can Powder rate burn affect cycling of the bolt?
Old December 25, 2012, 06:28 PM   #2
DnPRK

Yes, it can. Especially if your rifle has a 16" barrel.

One cause for a new rifle to fail to cycle is lack of lube. Make sure your rifle is well lubricated. The bolt carrier group should be dripping wet with lube. If you think you have too much lube, add some more. A properly lubed AR-15 will spit lube from the ejection port during the first 3 shots. Add more lube every 20-30 rounds.

After 100 rounds or so, you'll be able to cut back on the amount of lube.

Another cause for failure to cycle is using underpowered eastern European-manufactured steel cased ammo. New rifles are stiff and using American-made brass-cased ammo will help cure cycling issues.
Old December 25, 2012, 06:51 PM   #3
Nathan

Need more details.

Yes to your question, but I've never heard of an AR which would not run due to powder only.

AR's usually run....period. When they don't, cleanliness and lube are first checks...

The only design things on a home build which must be considered are reciprocating mass vs gas port size/location vs spring weight. These are almost always close enough!
Old December 25, 2012, 06:52 PM   #4
Jimro

Yes, there is a burn rate range needed to properly cycle the action. What problem are you experiencing? Are you using handloads (if so, what recipe?).

Details are helpful.

Jimro
Old December 25, 2012, 07:21 PM   #5
ezmoney

Details are helpful.

Jimro

New firearm not mine, all I know about his reloads they were 55 grain. They would Cycle enough to eject but would not pick up another round.my reload were 65 grain using 8208 power traveling at 2850 fps. Mine would cycle his would not. I will probably Go to the range with him again in a couple weeks . I will make sure he Oils the firearm heavily. Sorry I have no more information than that. I did ask him what powder he was using but I have forgot.
Old December 25, 2012, 07:37 PM   #6
mehavey

If yours cycle and his short-stroke, it's likely too light a powder load on his part.
If you can find out what his recipe is, we can probably help.
Old December 25, 2012, 08:06 PM   #7
RLFD5415

FYI, lube is used in quantity to band-aid other issues e.g. headspace, gas tube, brass sizing, buffer problems. I do not lube any of my AR's, either in the 308 or 5.56 configuration, with other than some light grease on the lugs and some light oil on the BCG. They run for hundreds of rounds w/o issue. If they do have an issue, it can be traced to some other problem as mentioned above.

JMHO, YMMV
Old December 25, 2012, 08:37 PM   #8
rdmallory

New Rifle?

Check and make sure the gas tube is correct. I built one once and missed with he roll pin.

Doug
Old December 25, 2012, 10:15 PM   #9
CTS

Quote:
FYI, lube is used in quantity to band-aid other issues e.g. headspace, gas tube, brass sizing, buffer problems. I do not lube any of my AR's, either in the 308 or 5.56 configuration, with other than some light grease on the lugs and some light oil on the BCG. They run for hundreds of rounds w/o issue. If they do have an issue, it can be traced to some other problem as mentioned above.
I agree. My ARs get a light coat of oil on all metal parts and that's it. If it's dripping with oil it needs a good wiping down IMO. More than likely a light powder charge.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:24 PM   #10
globemaster3

I agree with what has been said in the negative on excessive lube. I've never ran any that wet, even when I was in Afghanistan. However, I do not run them dry, either. Just a light coat is all I've ever needed.

As for the failure to feed, were you both using the same magazine?

Last edited by globemaster3; December 26, 2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old December 26, 2012, 12:56 AM   #11
Jimro

Well, given the information available, it sounds like your friend needs to redo his load workup.

Jimro
Old December 26, 2012, 09:26 PM   #12
10-96

Quote:
BINGO! Give that man a cigar!
If a shooter has good luck with the dripping wet process- great. Please just stop making it sound like The Gospel According to Colt. I was first introduced to M-16's and AR's in '87 and I have NEVER had the need to resort to that method.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.