The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 5, 2012, 08:12 AM   #1
94bluerat

1100 bolt question

Still working on the 1100. The bolt will not go forward after the bolt release is pushed up. It moves about 1/4 in and hits something. I have to pop the pins and remove the trigger housing to return the bolt. This issue is what lead me to find the loose feed latch bar (part 43) from my last post.

I cleaned everything and re-set the feed latch bar and was able to lightly stake it in place. The bolt moves fine with the trigger system out. When I replace the trigger and then install the bolt it pulls back as it should, but then won't go forward when released.

The gun was shot 7 times with a light field load and once with a 2 3/4 slug. That is when it locked back.

I can't find anything that looks bent, broken or out of alignment, but I know I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout
Old November 5, 2012, 10:35 AM   #2
krimmie

Is the link properly seated in its grooves?
Old November 5, 2012, 11:02 AM   #3
94bluerat

Yes, I double checked that based on your comment and then completed the re-assembly according to the OM. Same thing.

Any other thoughts?

I am wondering if the feed latch may be bent and that is snagging something on the bolt or action bar? I did not se any marks from contact, but I may not know where to look.

Thanks!

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout
Old November 5, 2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Virginian

If the bolt moves back and forth okay with the trigger group out of the gun AND the feed latch in place, then that isn't it, unless it is bent so bad I don't see how you could get the trigger assembly in. When you push up on the carrier release does the carrier move up? If it doesn't it won't disengage the carrier dog, and that's what holds the bolt back.