The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 4, 2012, 03:14 PM   #1
psychohellbilly666

What brand for an AR

There's a local gun show this coming weekend. And I'm looking to get another AR. I have around 1k to spend. I currently have a bushmaster flattop commando in 223. Very happy with it. Bushmasters currently in my area are a little over my spending cap. What brands are worth my time and which ones should I stay away from. I'm also open to one for 308 in my price range too.
Old November 4, 2012, 03:24 PM   #2
RadioFlyer8

Build with 1k budget> purchase 1k rifle
Old November 4, 2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Sweet Shooter

I just bought my first AR. I spent quite a while researching but in the end gave in to an impulse. I got the SIG M400. I am more impressed with this rifle than any other I have bought and owned. I did not expect this.

I have about 150 rounds through it and today I put a 2-7x32 Nikon ProStaff on it—on a Nikon M223 mount. It was shooting ~2" with the A2 iron sights.

I had to come up about 10 inches when I sighted in the scope but did not change the factory windage zero of the crosshairs. It is shooting ragged one-hole groups, dead center. Guards are not FF but I put cheep UTGs that are very tight... still not FF.

I'm into it about $1200.

I did not like the Bushy or the S&W that I handled. I don't know why. I did like the Troy rifle that Dicks Sports had last month, but I believe they are all gone.

I can't recommend the SIG highly enough. Bug holes are effortless. One criticism—I don't like the aluminum 30 rd that came with it. I got 20 round P-Mags for it. I am looking for an almost flush-fit 5 round mag for it.
-SS-
Old November 4, 2012, 03:59 PM   #4
psychohellbilly666

I'm really looking to get one ready to go. I got my bushmaster about 10 yrs ago for 700. Really pleased with it. I've seen dpms with stainless bull barrel for about 850 but seen carrying reviews on that brand. Mainly the bolt. Also seen the stag brand. But again mixed reviews. With so many new brands popping up its hard to know what is what quality.
Old November 4, 2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Sweet Shooter

A lot of then come off the same machines... Logos and branding tools aside. There are a lot made out by the airport in Salt Lake....
-ss-
Old November 4, 2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Adamantium

Are you looking for a different type of AR or do you want two of the same?

Also have you though of buying a new upper instead? You get more bang for your buck, have many more options (compared to a gun show) plus it can just be shipped to your house. Throw it on your lower and you are good to go.

For your original question, PSA and Del-ton offers good AR's under $1000, as do many others. Personally though I think some people make a mountain out of a mole hill when comparing ARs based on specs.
Old November 4, 2012, 05:18 PM   #7
psychohellbilly666

The thing is I'm wanting a new toy. I have an M&P ill be selling or trading as part of the funds. And cash to go for the rest. I feel I have enough pistols and just felt another AR would be a good choice. I'll be looking for a used once since I rarely buy new when new is really used at least by the factory. I'm not a hunter so that rules out different types of rifles. I am strong eye dominant and can't close my left eye without the right one closing too. Lol. So I try to go with red dot scopes or an eo type sight which is ideal for an AR platform. I did see a 9mm AR style carbine but don't remember the brand or price. And really don't know of the reliability of this type of rifle.
Old November 4, 2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Valerko

Why not get something else ?
AR10 , Cetme , PTR 91?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFdVGYeTBrQ&sns=em
Old November 4, 2012, 06:59 PM   #9
p loader

Why not just buy one online? You'll have it within a week delivered to your FFL, probably get charged a transfer fee of $25 to $50. For the most part buying online will be cheaper than at a local gun store.

Here's your Bushmaster 5.56/223 (Patrolman) for under $1,000.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ne11.5%22+Barr

S&W in Magpul furniture for $1000

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...elBlack+Finish

Just some options for you. I've purchased many guns online and the transaction is much smoother than many people would like to believe. The prices listed are the "cash discount" prices (mail in a check or money order), you'll pay a bit more if you use your CC or Debit Card but not too much.
Old November 4, 2012, 07:49 PM   #10
psychohellbilly666

Let me ask this. The dpms I looked at was physically a good quality looking gun. I just realized they are owned by the same parent company as bushmaster. To any dpms owners what are your thoughts.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:56 PM   #11
Mcreams911

Windham weaponry

I purchased a Windham Weaponry AR and I love it.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:29 PM   #12
smokiniron

Sweetshooter

Quote:
A lot of then come off the same machines... Logos and branding tools aside. There are a lot made out by the airport in Salt Lake....
Sweetshooter, Where/who in SLC?

I live here, and would like to know some local suppliers.
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old November 4, 2012, 10:18 PM   #13
psychohellbilly666

I had seen a review on YouTube of the windjammer weaponry and unless they have lowered the price I think I'd add a little to it and get a sig or such. Seems to have trigger issues. Trigger gets stiff when gun heats up. Unsure what year my bushmaster is but no probs with it. Did see windjammer weaponry is the new original bushmaster. As said the dpms I seen was a stainless bull 18 inch barrel flattop and right at 800 new. Just unsure on quality.
Old November 4, 2012, 10:21 PM   #14
Mcreams911

I've only fired about 1000 rounds through my Winham Weaponry, but have no complains nor have I had any malfunctions.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:14 AM   #15
Edward429451

I think that if you've got a Bushmaster and are happy with it, why not get another Bushmaster? It could be a copy of the one you have or even a different model.

If you have the different brand itch, treat yourself to a Colt.
Old November 5, 2012, 02:03 AM   #16
Sweet Shooter

smokiniron, the gent that runs the gun library at Cabela's told me about the manufacturing plant out north of I-80, but I don't remember what they were called. He had a lot of good things to say about their operation. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
-SS-
Old November 5, 2012, 04:57 AM   #17
TankBu5ter94

What about Palmetto State Armory? My dads friend just got one for under a grand and from what I read when I did research for him thier a good quality rifle and have FN made barrels which is a plus in my book.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:30 AM   #18
DasGuy

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...e-package.html

And it comes with a high quality optic.
Old November 5, 2012, 07:37 AM   #19
BillyJack3

PSA specs are very good. High quality when the QC is on top of things. They are busy so shipping time can be a while. If they send out something out of spec, they fix it.

Spike's Tactical also uses high quality parts and materials. None of the commercial grade stuff (semi BCG, commercial buffer tube...)

S&W M&P has been getting outstanding reviews. I have an OR that has run flawless for close to 2,000 rounds.

Then you can always go with what most consider the standard. A Colt can be had even at some Walmarts (mine carries them) for right around a grand.

All of the above get high reviews.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:01 AM   #20
dondavis3

I like my Colt

Wonderful / trouble free

Old November 5, 2012, 09:06 AM   #21
TMD

[IMG][/IMG]

Stag, RRA, S&W, JR Carbine, Spikes, ADCOR..... Decisions, decision, decision.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:24 AM   #22
pturner67

Definitely take a look at Spikes Tactical mid-length. It fits your price range.

Old November 5, 2012, 11:09 AM   #23
customaquatics

ima have to say PSA. I got mine $750 an i love it!!!!!!!!
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:52 AM   #24
smokiniron

smokiniron, the gent that runs the gun library at Cabela's told me about the manufact

Thanks, Sweetshooter... I'll be at Cabelas tomorrow to get some good smells up my nose. I'll ask around.
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old November 6, 2012, 01:24 AM   #25
Justice06RR

I would suggest a Colt 6920 or Sig M400 for your price range.

If you want a different caliber, look for 300Blackout also. A few manufacturers make them including PSA and S&W.