The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 24, 2012, 12:58 AM   #1
Jcordle

dpms sportical and left handed shooters

Ok I haven't been able to find any information on if not having the brass deflector Is a problem for people who shoot left handed? I am intent on buying an ar before the election and only have limited funds. The dpms at Wal-Mart is the cheapest I can find.
Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Old October 24, 2012, 08:31 AM   #2
spacecoast

Sounds like it might be an issue, at least for some.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com...Number=2201177 (yes)

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/lof...hp?t98137.html (yes)

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Arti...?id=1619&cid=1 (no)
Old October 24, 2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Theohazard

Try looking in to the S&W M&P15 Sport. It's less expensive than the DPMS Sportical and it's better. It has a similar set-up; it's missing a forward assist and ejection port cover (neither of which are necessary at all), and the trigger guard doesn't open for use with thick gloves. Also, the barrel is lined with melanite instead of chrome. But it does have a brass deflector and, other than the missing parts I mentioned, it has a normal AR-15 look, unlike the DPMS.

With the M&P15 Sport, S&W cut costs in the right places while keeping the features that make AR-15s so great. It's a good rifle for a terrific price.
Old October 24, 2012, 04:44 PM   #4
allaroundhunter

Or you could look into one of Stag's left handed ARs....

You could get their optics ready LH upper and find another lower to slap it on to and be in around $700
Old October 24, 2012, 08:31 PM   #5
tahunua001

my brother in law shoots my sportical lefty, never been hit in the face yet.

Quote:
Try looking in to the S&W M&P15 Sport. It's less expensive than the DPMS Sportical and it's better. It has a similar set-up; it's missing a forward assist and ejection port cover (neither of which are necessary at all), and the trigger guard doesn't open for use with thick gloves. Also, the barrel is lined with melanite instead of chrome. But it does have a brass deflector and, other than the missing parts I mentioned, it has a normal AR-15 look, unlike the DPMS.
wait wait wait, let me get this straight.
DPMS sportical= $560+ tax at walmart
M&P sport, $625+tax at walmart
how is the M&P cheaper?

also how does one modified AR15 upper receiver look more like an AR than another modified AR15 receiver?

without the forward assist and dust covers, it's pretty obviously a modified design regardless of whether the shell deflector is there or not.

I will agree that forward assist and dust cover are worthless and there is no need for one on an AR in the US. if the OP plans to put several thousand rounds downrange then the M&P might be a better option long term as the melonite barrel will hold up better but if this is just an introductory model to be modified or sold once the shooter establishes a good idea of what he wants to change and what he wants to keep then the DPMS sportical is the best option IMO.

Last edited by tahunua001; October 24, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old October 24, 2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Theohazard

Quote:
wait wait wait, let me get this straight.
DPMS sportical= $560+ tax at walmart
M&P sport, $625+tax at walmart
how is the M&P cheaper?
He never mentioned what the DPMS's price was. At my shop it's priced higher than the M&P, so I figured that was normal.

Quote:
also how does one modified AR15 upper receiver look more like an AR than another modified AR15 receiver?
The DPMS has a thicker upper receiver in addition to missing the forward assist, dust cover, and brass deflector. It also doesn't have the external bulge in the left side of the upper for the bolt cam pin (I'm guessing that's due to the thicker walls on the DPMS upper). The M&P's upper has the normal AR-15 lines, it's just missing the forward assist and dust cover.