The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 19, 2012, 01:30 PM   #1
smokiniron

Bushmaster C15 comment and opinions?

Hi all....

A local chain store is offering Bushmaster's C15 with a 30-rd mag and a TruGlo red dot for $599.
I believe the price is very good... on par with other offerings I see.

My concern is more to the quality, features, accuracy, durability, and 'upgrade-ability' of this particular gun. I have 3 polymer Springers, A Savage Weather Warrior, and a selection of other long guns, but this is my first foray into an AR weapon.

At this point, my intended use is as a range gun, plinker, coyote control, and as an HD gun to back up my pistols and Mossberg 500s. But, I'd like to think that if the chips are down, this gun would run well - and long.

So, coupla' questions...
1. I'm also a little confused on the 223 and 5.56 NATO issue. My understanding is that a gun chambered for 223 will handle 5.56mm ammo without issues. But, a gun chambered for 5.56 will have problems with 223.

2. Can this gun be easily upgraded as far as parts are concerned? I heard the Bushmasters are a little non-standard in some ways.

3. What ammo works best in this gun as far as bullet weight and manufacturer insofar as twist rate is concerned?

4. What else do I need to know that I don't know even to ask about?

Thanks, folks....
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old October 19, 2012, 02:04 PM   #2
9mm1033

I'm new to the AR platform, but I try your questions.

1. I'm also a little confused on the 223 and 5.56 NATO issue. My understanding is that a gun chambered for 223 will handle 5.56mm ammo without issues. But, a gun chambered for 5.56 will have problems with 223.

The 5.56/223 will shoot both. The 223 will not shoot 5.56.

2. Can this gun be easily upgraded as far as parts are concerned? I heard the Bushmasters are a little non-standard in some ways.

The Bushmaster (now Windham Weaponry) should do well with upgrades.

3. What ammo works best in this gun as far as bullet weight and manufacturer insofar as twist rate is concerned?

Mine is 1:9 (Check the barrel, it will be listed there) and does well with 55 grain.

Buy one, shoot it and then make the decision what add-ons are needed, if any.
Old October 19, 2012, 02:24 PM   #3
BlackJackID

Quote:
Hi all....

A local chain store is offering Bushmaster's C15 with a 30-rd mag and a TruGlo red dot for $599.
I believe the price is very good... on par with other offerings I see.

My concern is more to the quality, features, accuracy, durability, and 'upgrade-ability' of this particular gun. I have 3 polymer Springers, A Savage Weather Warrior, and a selection of other long guns, but this is my first foray into an AR weapon.

At this point, my intended use is as a range gun, plinker, coyote control, and as an HD gun to back up my pistols and Mossberg 500s. But, I'd like to think that if the chips are down, this gun would run well - and long.

So, coupla' questions...

Thanks, folks....
Hi There, welcome to the wonderful world of the modern Sporting rifle...

a 5.56 chambering will allow you to use both 5.56 and .223, reversely, a .223 chambering, is not safe to use 5.56. I believe ALL bushmaster barrels are 5.56

Any part that will go in a standard AR-15 should go in yours as well..I may be wrong with lower reciever parts, because of the polymer lower. But IIRC everything is the same. It should be as upgradeable as anything out there.

Bullet weight...That barrel should be a 1:9 twist, all bushmaster barrels are, according to their website. This will allow you to use a wide array of ammo from 55 grn to 68 grn, just fine. and to be honest, mine still shoots 1" at 100 yards with 85grn Soft points

As far as anything else you should know...well...There could be a LOT...but if ya have any doubts, just ask and we will try to answer as best we can..599 is a pretty good deal. I myself prefer aluminum recievers, but thats just personal preference, as I dont have any facts to back up a statement that they are better. So far I havent seen any real track record of failures from the polymer lowers.
Old October 19, 2012, 06:27 PM   #4
smokiniron

Bushmaster Carbon 15...

Thanks for the welcome!

The Carbon 15 is growing on me, based on yours and others comments. I don't have the budget for one of the $1500 and up guns, and not sure I need or deserve one at this point. I DO want to get a 'black gun' before any errant politicians decide that the second amendment was just a 'good suggestion'... much like some view the 10 Commandments!

Is it unreasonable to consider a .308 upper on a modest gun as this?

And, should I be able to remove the scope and install iron sights for not much money - if I wanted more of a utility/knockabout weapon?
Old October 19, 2012, 06:36 PM   #5
BlackJackID

No, you cant put a .308 upper on any regular AR lower, it has to be a .308 lower...I wish though..LOL

And most people don't need a 1500 hundred dollar black gun, they just prefer them. Yes there are some differences in quality and/or material, but not anything most users would notice.

And you could drop the scope and get a decent set of Iron sights for about 100 bones....
Old October 19, 2012, 07:08 PM   #6
chris in va

For about $50 more you can get a S&W Sport...if you can find one.
Old October 19, 2012, 07:12 PM   #7
smokiniron

Quote:
o, you cant put a .308 upper on any regular AR lower, it has to be a .308 lower...I wish though..LOL
Yeah... you see my problem. I have some folks telling me otherwise. The gun rags are all fairly dialed in to the guns with exchangeable barrels and the selection appears to fall only to certain models designed for a swap.

It's not an issue, just gettin' wised up a little.

I think I'll go put a deposit on the C15 tonight, so I'll have one when they get some in stock.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:18 PM   #8
smokiniron

Quote:
For about $50 more you can get a S&W Sport...if you can find one.
Chris in VA....

My LGS never got their shipment of the Bushmaster. I believe they were subbing the S&W Sport for $599, but no scope. But, they are also out of those, too. Is that weapon a better one in your opinion than the Bushmaster? is it chambered in 5.56 mm and also compatible with .223 rem?
Old October 20, 2012, 06:26 AM   #9
rebs

The S&W Sport is a fine rifle chambered in 5.56 so you can shoot both 5.56 and 223. In my personal preference I would buy the Sport again, I have one and it is reliable, accurate and has a great warranty. 1/2" groups at 100 yds with my hand loads. That being said my next AR will be a Windham Weaponry varmint exterminator.
Old October 20, 2012, 12:05 PM   #10
smokiniron

So... How about DPMS?

My local stores are out of the S&W Sport and the Bushmaster C15.
Has anyone had any good luck with the DPMS 5.56 from Wally-World? They're running about $599.

Thanks!
Old October 20, 2012, 07:53 PM   #11
BlackJackID

Smokin...What model of DPMS is it? the "sportical" has no forward assist or dust cover. Which arent needed really but are nice to have...Other than that, I have had no issues with DPMS at all
Old October 20, 2012, 08:35 PM   #12
FrosSsT

At $600 I would grab it. Bushmaster makes a good rifle. Cant comment on the Car15 - I have the M4A3
Old October 20, 2012, 10:25 PM   #13
smokiniron

Blackjack....
Not sure of he model of DPMS at Walmart. They are out of them too!
The gun counter guy was clueless as to what they carried.

In the words of Nacho Libre...

"It really sucks to be me!"

I appreciate everyone's comments. The more, the better. I'm getting a sense that most guns are OK, and just vary on minor features.

Any comments on the magnetic inspection procedure? I can't recall the correct technical term. Does that really make a difference for my intended usage?

Tags
bushmaster , c-15 , c15