The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 18, 2012, 10:25 PM   #1
MP-5

HK91 & PTR 91 Fans: Which port buffer???

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two port buffers for a PTR91?

The first is by CTREE which is a polymer design found on http://hkportbuffer.com/index.html:

The second is a metal design with a rubber bumber found on http://www.robertrtg.com/pofport_carry.html:

Can anyone tell me which one is better? I want to use a MFI mount with either of these port buffers. Can anyone tell me which is easier on brass?
Old September 19, 2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Destructo6

I don't have any experience with the top one. It looks like a plastic copy of the bottom one.

The bottom one looks to be the HK pattern. Coming from RobertRTG, it's probably real HK or licensed version. This one is notorious for scratching the finish going on and coming off, so most who install these never take it off once installed.

Keep all of them clean.
Old September 19, 2012, 07:25 PM   #3
MP-5

Thanks Destructo6

I'm wondering if the polymer version will do the same job. It definitely wont scratch the finish. Anyone else with any advise?
Old September 20, 2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Destructo6

Wow, the last time I looked at HK port buffers, they were in the $100 range.

If I were installing this on a HK-91/PTR-91, I'd probably go with RobertRTG's port buffer and carry handle combo for $55.

I have zero experience with MFI's mounts, so take it for what it's worth.

Keep all of them clean.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:02 PM   #5
MJ1

;)

I have used the HK and AK sheet metal case deflectors with soft rubber/nylon bumper type in .223,.308 and 7.62X39. I have no background with the plastic copy but it must do the same thing and that is deflect the cases in a lower arch to conceal the shooter. We found in the mid sixties that in early morning or evening low angle sun light we could see the AK/SKS cases and locate the shooters. Who then took measures to avoid this but for a time it was a tell. The side effect of less damage to the case for us reloaders was not part of the plan,,,having said that I have never hesitated to resize dented cases. A report by someone who has used the plastic deflectors in .308 and .223 rifles would be interesting.

Cheers
..MJ..
- David Hackworth -

Last edited by MJ1; September 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM.