The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 15, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1
angel71rs

AMD-65 review & pics

Saw Buds had them for 439 shipped, so ordered one up. Looked good, felt good cycling it manually when it came in. Pics:

Cleaned & lubed, off to the range. Shot fine, really liked the trigger (Tapco G2 single hook), cycled ok, but wouldn't cock the trigger. So it ended up being a single shot. If I manually charged a round, no problem. But when it cycled in a new round, no go.

Did some reading, concluded the issue was the hammer following the bolt forward. Seems that despite the AK's rep for working even with sloppy clearances, the trigger group is checked/tuned at the factory on original builds, and installation of an aftermarket like the Tapco can cause problems.

Found a page on tuning the trigger. Instructions are for another AK and the double hook, but I followed them, seemed to work ok on the AMD.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.co...ktrigger.shtml

Had also ordered a stock riser from AMD65tech, pic:

At the range today the AMD burped out rounds without issue. 3 different magazines, 3 types of ammo, 4 different shooters, never missed a beat. Riser made it easier to be accurate by giving a place to rest the cheek. I know some don't like the grips, say they look bad. I like them, and it was fun to blast away when holding the grips Chicago gangster Tommy gun style.

Rifle: I'd give it 4 stars. If it had to be returned for the hammer follow issue, would have sucked. But I like to tinker with stuff, learned something new, so I didn't mind fixing it myself. Finish has been an issue on some, mine is great. Accuracy is ~ 2" groups at 25 yds standing once I got the riser on there. Shooting at a torso sized steel at 175 yds, was able to ding it about 20% of the time. Read online some say front grip wouldn't allow longer mags to pop in. Had no problems popping on a 40 rounder. Mag well is sloppy, only thing I don't like about it. No effect on function, but don't like it. Might try to tighten it up, or just leave well enough alone.

Riser: great little add on. 4 stars. Shipping was super slow. After not receiving 3 weeks after order placed, emailed. Was told it was on shipping table, would go out next day. Nope. 2 weeks later I emailed again, no reply, but got a shipment notification that day. Installation was difficult. Problem is the clamps don't have rounded bottoms to match the wire stock, have a V bottom. Just couldn't get the rear one done. Had to mount a large screwdriver on my bench vise to use as a form, then lightly hammer the clip bottom round. I was then able to get the mounting screw thru all the way. Used blue Loctite. If not for the difficulties, would have gone 5 stars cause it is a worthwhile addition. It's a lot better than having your head bob around in space when trying for accuracy.
Old September 18, 2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Peptobismol9

Congratulations. I also got one not too long ago. My only complaint is the finish. Already some chipping, and I haven't fired it yet. The sturdiness of this rifle instills some confidence in me that it will function very well. Every now and then I do hear of problems with the trigger assembly and that worries me some. But it is an Ak, so I feel I won't get any serious problems from it.
Old September 18, 2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

I wish the AMDs with fixed stocks were priced similarly---I'd be all over one. I simply hate wire stocks.

But, if you want a simple and reliable rifle at a good price---the AMD is an excellent choice. It's great that the length of the barrel is about 3'' shorter than a SGL (with the brake on) is great too.
Old September 21, 2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Peptobismol9

I found the wire stock easy to get used too. It just takes alot of handling the rifle. Just to get as familiar with my weapon as possible, I rarely put it down for the first week of owning it. Gives that feel that it's an extension of the body.
Old September 21, 2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Mrgunsngear

I used to be okay with wire folders and underfolders too but as I shot them more and more I just grew annoyed with them. Nothing wrong with them functionally though--they work just fine.
Old September 22, 2012, 05:22 PM   #6
rightside

Just got mine from Centerfire Friday. 2- 20 rd Hungarian mags arrived the same day.(Not 922, I know) Going to get a 30 rd pro mag tomorrow. I have two Hogue AK grips on the way to replace these cheesy looking things. The gun looks and feels great. I think I will attempt the cheek riser myself. I think I can improve their design a little for my own use. We'll see. I like to tinker myself and this looks like a good one to play with. I had to grind the flash hider weld down some so I could get the cleaning rod out. It needed to be cleaned up anyway. Also have some ideas for the stock release button. I love the size of it! (The gun , not the button)

Last edited by rightside; September 22, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old September 23, 2012, 04:53 PM   #7
rightside

I took mine to the range today. It never skipped a beat with three different mags.They all wobbled in the reciever, but function wasn't impaired at all. Great fun to shoot. The wire stock wasn't nearly the problem I was afraid it would be. After sighting it in I was able to ring an 8" gong at 200yds, open-sited! About 6-7 out of ten times. Nothing like the sound of a bullet whacking steel at (reasonably) long distance! For my age and lack of eyesight, I was thoroughly impressed with this little gun. Definitely one of my new favorites, although I think I'll get the Ultimak gas tube scope mount for it and mount a red dot.Cheers

PS--This puppy is LOUD!
Old September 23, 2012, 08:24 PM   #8
KevK.

For the price I've been thinking about getting one. The price it's really a good little rifle.

Also check Krebs Custom. http://www.krebscustom.com/index.shtml They have lots of good parts for AMD65. page is a bit awkward to navigate.

I can't seem to find the link. But there is a guy who makes a bolt on padded wire cheek riser also.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:02 PM   #9
cmoulton

Is that forward grip the exact same as the pistol grip? It looks the exact same just faced the other way.
Old September 23, 2012, 10:20 PM   #10
Peptobismol9

Yes indeed it is. If you look you can see the rut cut into it for the trigger guard.
Old September 23, 2012, 10:31 PM   #11
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
PS--This puppy is LOUD!
It was actually designed to be loud. The theory was that enemy troops would think there were more opposing soldiers out there than there were due to the excessive noise.
Old September 23, 2012, 10:35 PM   #12
Peptobismol9

That explains alot I decided to try one shot without hearing protection. Had my ears ringing hard.
Old September 24, 2012, 06:04 PM   #13
ronl

I bought one last year and I am very pleased with it. The one I bought was built on an FEG receiver. As usual, I had to modify it. I didn't particularly like the handguards and forward grip too much, so I modified a set of standard handguards by cutting off the gas tube and expanding the tube, and added a rail section on the lower handguard to which I added a normal vertical grip. Then I painted it camo and added a green laser to it. The thing is much more accurate than I thought it would be, especially considering the length of the barrel. Hope you have as much fun with yours as I have with mine.