The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 16, 2012, 06:10 AM   #1
marine6680

Lower parts kits, which to choose?

So I decided... I am going to build my lowers.

But now what part kit to get... there are many. PSA, RRA, DD...

Some are cheaper some not so.

I seen the DD kit going for $70, PSA $55, RRA $70, but I could go much higher depending on option like trigger group and grip type

I just want a basic kit and trigger. I don't need a match trigger, or adjustable pull. Just simple basic parts kit.

So which to get? Lower cost is better, but I am willing to pay more for better quality... within reason of course. If $20 will get me a good jump in quality, then that is worth it. marginally better? Not so much worth the cost.

I do know I am going to end up with a Magpul MOE or MIAD to go with it. (or if it comes with a good grip, I can keep it instead I had a Houge grip I liked once)

thanks
Old August 16, 2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Quentin2

I've had best luck with Daniel Defense (hard to find lately) and Stag. And the worst luck with DPMS and Del Ton. I hear PSA is great for the price.
Old August 16, 2012, 01:59 PM   #3
marine6680

The price for the DD isn't too bad. Finding it in stock may be difficult.

PSA offers kits that include the magpul grip and trigger guard. The MOE was $70, add $15 for the MIAD. They also say the springs are coated for protection.

So long as the parts are solid and clean, with good spring quality I'm happy.

There are many parts kits I didn't mention... just so many choices. I sure many are commissioned from the same manufacturer. No point in paying more for something just because of the brand name on the box. If there isn't much difference in quality, then paying more just seems silly.
Old August 16, 2012, 06:01 PM   #4
customaquatics

the gun shop here has CMMG for $60, does anyoen know about them?
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old August 16, 2012, 06:28 PM   #5
BillyJack3

Don't know much about the CMMG kit. I just assembled the PSA kit and I like it a lot. Low price, in stock and mine has a nice, crisp break. I only ordered one at the time to try it out but will get another for another lower. I just got the Lower Build Kit which includes the stock, buffer tube and everything you need for your stripped lower. Got the MOE version.
Old August 16, 2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Eghad

CMMG makes some nice lowers I have bought three fully assembled lowers from them and they have all been nice. I have no complaints with the CMMG triggers and lower parts.

NRA Life Member
Old August 16, 2012, 09:31 PM   #7
Mobuck

parts is parts
most come from the same supplier's giant batch bins. The easiest assembly for me has been using RRA match trigger parts kits. Roll pins drive easier and still fit snug enough. Some parts kits' roll pins are like driving 16 penny spikes into oak.
Old August 16, 2012, 10:09 PM   #8
marine6680

If they source them from the same place, then spending more is pointless.
Old August 16, 2012, 10:29 PM   #9
Wahoo95

Many parts are sourced from the same place......but made to different QC standards. In other words some companies parts kits may include all best of batch pieces while others may contain seconds and thirds in order to keep their pricing down. This is why some brands tend to have more issues with out of spec pins and springs or missing parts. So its really not as simple as parts is parts.

Blame any misspellings on Tapatalk
Old August 17, 2012, 03:58 AM   #10
marine6680

Will have to keep looking around at prices and availability.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:46 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
parts is parts
most come from the same supplier's giant batch bins. The easiest assembly for me has been using RRA match trigger parts kits. Roll pins drive easier and still fit snug enough. Some parts kits' roll pins are like driving 16 penny spikes into oak.
No, not really. Look at the parts from a G&R Tactical LPK and then compare them to a DPMS LPK, night and day difference.

Things to look for are roll pins vs split pins, are the detents double ended? How's the finish quality.

PSA LPK's use parts from LW Schneider, these are good parts.

My personal choice is ArmaLite LPK's, I prefer the fully serrated bolt release and the two stage triggers.
Old August 17, 2012, 08:04 AM   #12
Mrgunsngear

I've build at least 10 rifles using PSA's kits---all are without issue. I was missing a detent pin once but that's the only issue I ever ran into using them (they sent one out the next day...)
Old August 17, 2012, 10:12 AM   #13
Fishbed77

You can't go wrong with PSA. I've built a few of their kits, and the lower parts quality is as good as anything else out there. Thier standard AR trigger is actually quite good (for a standard AR trigger). Not particularly light, but a crisp, clean break.