The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 23, 2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Slugo

one of America's futile attempts at an O/U...

it was sort of bad news last year when Ruger announced they were discontinuing the production of their Red Label O/U. I must admit, it was one shotgun I had absolutely no interest in adding to my collection. Oh, they felt pretty good when you picked one up and shouldered it, but that's where it ended. Open the action and it sounded like something Daisy would have offered. The sound of hollowed springs and clanking, not to mention the auto-safety on the target versions. Just not a well thought out gun.

Maybe Ruger's decision was the right one in the long run...

Old July 23, 2012, 07:15 AM   #2
oneounceload

Slugo - as I have mentioned before, I had one of their 28 gauge guns. This was going to be my main chukar gun for climbing after those rascals on the steep shale slopes out West. It had issues - to be polite - and after three trips back to Ruger to fix them, it went away. Too bad, as it wasn't bad looking, but performance, not looks means birds in the bag.

Look at CSMC - they just came out with the Inverness - a nice round body 20 gauge O/U you might want to add to your stable of 20's.

http://www.csmcspecials.com/product_p/inverness.htm
Old July 23, 2012, 11:41 AM   #3
BigJimP

I've never been a Ruger fan ...in anything, revolvers, semi-autos or shotguns....but it is too bad, in some ways, that they finally threw the towel in on it. If they had done it right ...it could have been an option...but based on the issues I saw on Ruger shotguns at my club ...they just couldn't get it figured out ( and I think they were making them in Turkey which made it worse)...
Old July 23, 2012, 02:10 PM   #4
oneounceload

M ine wasn't - made here, but they never did figure things out to avoid issues - and since they were priced with the B guns, folks just bought those
Old July 23, 2012, 02:42 PM   #5
dalecooper51

Quote:
Look at CSMC - they just came out with the Inverness - a nice round body 20 gauge O/U you might want to add to your stable of 20's.

http://www.csmcspecials.com/product_p/inverness.htm
I know it is off topic to the thread, but what is the benefit of the long tang on the trigger guard. Is it only a visual preference thing or are performance benefits?
Old July 23, 2012, 03:45 PM   #6
oneounceload

Most older guns have a solid butt - the stock is one piece and there is no through bolt holding it to the action - just the piece from the front of the trigger guard and the screws on the back of the tang.

The longer tang did a better job of holding the stock and action together

Whether Tony's is worth an upcharge of $700 is something alltogether different
Old July 23, 2012, 03:48 PM   #7
jmortimer

Ruger is comming out with a new shotgun but who knows what type of action. If Ruger comes up with something decent, I'd consider being a one brand guy.
Old July 23, 2012, 04:01 PM   #8
dalecooper51

Thanks 1oz.
Old July 23, 2012, 07:08 PM   #9
Jo6pak

I don't get it..

So the only point to this thread was to bash the RRL??
Old July 23, 2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Slugo

no, it was to get opinions and a discussion going...
Old July 23, 2012, 07:46 PM   #11
olddrum1

I thought he was bashing Daisy which I always thought was a fine BB-gun.
Old July 23, 2012, 07:53 PM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
I don't get it..
So the only point to this thread was to bash the RRL??
Ruger gets the praise or derision it deserves and with this product, the derision is deserved - it was poorly engineered, poorly made, poorly supported, and priced to compete with products it couldn't compete with

Seems no different to me than all of those posts bashing Remington Express guns while praising the cheap Chinese clone of the same gun; if the maker turns out a shoddy product, then it needs to be brought to folks' attention

Sorry if you have a problem with that....
Old July 23, 2012, 08:59 PM   #13
Slugo

a superior gun to the Ruger RL, my 1972 Sheridan Blue Streak 5mm. OK, so it's not a Daisy!!

Old July 23, 2012, 09:05 PM   #14
oneounceload

Nice 5mm, Slugo - I only have a typical .177 RWS - but it does a number on vermin when my eyes allow me to do the job!........

Back OT, IMO, Ruger builds to certain price points to try and build a competitive product; in some cases, they do a decent ob, in others they don't.....this is an example of a "don't"
Old July 23, 2012, 09:30 PM   #15
Virginian

I think their commitment to investment casting bit them with the Red and the Gold label. I think it was the way the machining had to be combined with the casting. I love their single action revolvers as much as I love Colts, but in a different way. The added beef comes in handy with heavy 44 Magnums. I like the 77/22 and the 10/22, and their bolt rifles are okay too. But a shotgun just has to have a certain feel and they didn't, even without the issues, to me.
The Remington 32 is still the all time leader in American O/Us in my opinion.