The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 18, 2012, 02:40 PM   #1
attila787

.300 Remington Ultra Mag question

So I'm about to order a custom rifle with the carbon fiber barrel wrap. I want a bigger caliber than what I currently have that is versatile I noticed that the the .300 RUM is now offered in Levels I, II, & III, which is very attractive. Here is a link about that:

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...mmunition.aspx

I will be ordering from Bettin customs:

http://www.bettincustomguns.com/

I currently, already have a sako finnlight in 6.5x55, but just wanted something a little bigger that would allow me to on a Alaskan hunt once I'm done with grad school this year and possibly other big hunts if life allows.

Opinions and thought about this caliber?????

Last edited by attila787; July 18, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old July 18, 2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Doyle

I'm not at all a fan of the 300RUM. Huge recoil and blast for some extra speed. That extra speed is nice if you want to shoot long, but it doesn't do as much good for hunting larger beasts at normal ranges. Of course, that extra speed also comes at a HUGE extra ammo cost.

Personally, I think that a better option if you want a big-beast thumper is something that will launch a larger and heavier bullet with good velocity - but not the kind of velocity that a super-long range rifle requires. The .338Win Mag fits that bill as does other similar calibers.
Old July 18, 2012, 04:26 PM   #3
jmr40

Not a fan either. A 300 WSM or 300 Win mag will easily get you well into level II loads. A 300 Weatherby will almost get you to level III. Any can be downloaded to level I if you want. The extra speed will give you more effective range. Not any more power on larger game. A 30-06 with heavy bullets is just as effective on large Alaskan game as heavy 300 mag loads.

Personally I like the 300 mags and have a preference for the WSM version. As said, it would be 100% as effective as the Ultra mag on the big stuff when loaded with heavy 200+ gr bullets. With lighter bullets it has the trajectory and power for deer or elk farther away than I can shoot. If you can shoot we are talking 600-700 yards. The 300 Ultra-mag would do the same thing, just from even greater range which I cannot use. Not worth the added expense, recoil, barrel length, and weight to me.

If I wanted something greater than .30 cal. I'd skip right over the 338 and go straight to the 375. The 338 shoots the same bullet weights at the virtually the same speeds as the 300's. You give up only .03" in bullet diameter, but with the .30's better SD you get better penetration.
Old July 18, 2012, 06:52 PM   #4
attila787

So even at level I this rifle is going to smack me hard??? The Remington website reports 30.06 felt recoil. Has anybody here shot the .300 RUM level I and compared it to the other levels offered?

I don't mind recoil, but if it can be tamed when its not needed that would be nice. The rifle will come with a muzzle break.
Old July 18, 2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Doyle

Still, we question WHY? Remington came out with their level ammo stuff only because sales of .300RUM were dead. They had to do something. Shortly after they introduced the .300RUM shooters figured out that it really doesn't do anything anyone needs outside of a very narrow set of circumstances.

There is a good reason there are bunches of .300RUMs for sale on the used market - people buy them thinking they really want one then they realize they really don't want it after all.
Old July 18, 2012, 09:41 PM   #6
old roper

attila787, I've never had a 300RUM build but I have take one bull elk with a factory and my reloads. I like the RUM case and I have look at having one build just haven't figured out which caliber kind of on my wish list.

I've never kept up with factory offering on ammo so can't help on that. Since you decided on who's build your rifle have you talked to them on that ammo and I read on one of their pages about custom reloads for their rifles that may give you another choice.

Well good luck
NRA Life Member
Old July 19, 2012, 01:47 PM   #7
WIN71

Don't bother

I would not buy a 300RUM for the reasons you stated. I bought one when they first came out. There was no brass available back then nor was there any reloading information. I bought Remington factory ammo loaded with 180gr. Nosler Partitions I contacted Nosler for reloading recommendations. RL 25 was used.
Without a break this rifle will punish you when shooting off sandbags on a bench. I hunted elk with it for a couple years and saw no need for it even out past 400 yards.
Now days if I do hunt with a 30 magnum it is usually a 300 H&H. If I want a tad more power I have a custom 308 Norma Magnum. It is almost exactly the same ballistic wise as the 300 Win Mag.

If I were in your position I do believe I would get a 300 Win Mag.
Old July 19, 2012, 03:51 PM   #8
attila787

Thanks, for all the info I have switched my build to the .300 WSM.