The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 17, 2012, 11:14 AM   #1
old fart

shotgun for hiking and camping?

well things have a way of changing, and in my case they change alot. i love to hike and camp on private property near my home here in kentucky. i thought i would have a handgun to take with me, i had bought a stoeger cougar 9mm. but some things came up i had to sell the gun, now it will be next year before i will have a chance to have enough for another handgun. i do however have h&r pardner pump protector with 18.5 inch barrel, it weighs however 7lbs. would the shotgun be a good choice fo hiking and camping? at one time i thought i might have to use it for this purpose but i was able to get the handgun now i'm back to the shotgun. what do ya'll think about carrying a shotgun for camping and hiking? also i put the regular stock back on it, which gives me better accuracy. thanks
Old July 17, 2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Creeper

The gun is fine... it's more of a 'are you able to lug it around with you on hikes without getting worn out' kinda thing.
You can get all sorts of sleeves, slings and carriers to mount it to you, or to a day pack.

Cheers,
C
Old July 17, 2012, 02:35 PM   #3
oneounceload

For ME, an extra 7# would get tiring very quickly - but you know your physical conditioning the best - what are you carrying it for - hunting, SD against 2 or 4-legged critter, something else???
That might help determine the need
Old July 17, 2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Creeper

If he says "Zombies"... you're on your own oneounceload.
Old July 17, 2012, 05:53 PM   #5
jmr40

Quote:
i love to hike and camp on private property near my home here in kentucky.
This implies short hikes. A 7 lb gun shouldn't be a problem for this. Many of my hikes are 10-15 miles in a day and often in steep mountains. And often for several days in a row. No way I'd carry it for my uses. I'd find a way to get another "lightweight" handgun, or go without. Lots of folks walk the entire 2200 mile AT with no gun. I carry whenever possible, and still haven't needed it.
Old July 17, 2012, 07:53 PM   #6
old fart

my hike will be 2-3 miles, its a up and down hills till i reach our spot we use as its next to a river. the gun is heavy but its either take it or not go, times are where i won't go into the outdoors without some type of gun, i used to not care but the chances of having trouble seem to be more now than ever. the shotgun is all i have and i use it as my home gun, and i'm on a budget to where my income barrely pays the bills. i can save sometimes $10 sometimes $20 a month if i'm lucky. so i hope to try for another handgun as soon as i can. thanks
Old July 17, 2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Creeper

Eat your Wheaties, put the straight stock back on it, get some buckshot and maybe a few slugs and strap it to your day pack... good to go.

Cheers,
C
Old July 17, 2012, 08:10 PM   #8
oneounceload

or buy and carry a can of bear spray or the infamous $2 wasp spray - good for 20', excellent against 2 and 4 legged critters
Old July 17, 2012, 08:24 PM   #9
old fart

the regular stock is back on, i was pretty good with the pistol grip up to 20yds but that was about it. now if an animal will keep their distance i have no problem letting them go, but the chances of running upon a 2 legged illegal operation is getting bad around where i live. the gun weight bothers me but i do feel good in knowing that with buckshot at close range and slugs at a distance, i have a powerful weapon. thanks
Old July 17, 2012, 08:47 PM   #10
lamarw

I don't see any options. You only have the one gun, and you choose not to hike without a gun.

It seems like a no-brainer. You tote what you got. Did I miss something?
Old July 20, 2012, 08:05 PM   #11
KMAX

Sling It.

If you don't have to worry about concealing your gun, I think you have a near perfect hiking/ camping gun. Slugs to birdshot. You can't get a wider spectrum of ammo choices. It may be heavy, but it should handle any possible target, man or beast. Get a sling or strap it on somehow. I am not sure I wouldn't choose the shotgun over a handgun even if one was available.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old July 20, 2012, 08:19 PM   #12
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw
Did I miss something?
Nope.
Old July 20, 2012, 08:31 PM   #13
Mayor Al

Perhaps I missed a point somewhere, But I see two important items here

1. He has to work with no budget for now, so his shotgun is about the only choice he has , other than going unarmed.

2, The area he will ocuppy has an above average number of undesireable in it (at times) doing God-knows-what to themselves and society.

I would
1. take the shotgun with me on walks, but be prepared to meet innocent folks, so don't shoot first and identify later.

2. Consider using a less 'Unsafe' area for walk/camp activity. Like St. Forest developed campgrounds or the like.

3. Get a handgun as soon as budget permits for knapsack carry in the woods. Bears are not the issue in most KY woods...Meth-Labs ARE !!!
Old July 20, 2012, 11:49 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

Hipoint.
Old July 20, 2012, 11:50 PM   #15
johnwilliamson062

Hipoint.

Go to a temp agency and tell them you want some weekend work.
Work 6 days over a month or two. BOOM $300. New gun.
Old July 20, 2012, 11:55 PM   #16
the rifleer

I hate to stir the pot or anything, but do you honestly need a gun for a 2 or 3 mile hike? Why not just a good knife that you can use for everything, including self defense.
Old July 21, 2012, 01:56 AM   #17
TheKlawMan

To expect an Old Fart to defend himself with a knife from a couple of young guys guarding a meth lab is ludicrous at best. I assume that he has weighed the possibility of camping in a safer area, if any is available to him. The only question is if the Pardner Protector with an 18.5" barrel and a standard stock is good protection for camping and hiking; nor if it is the best protection but if it is "a good choice". Given that you have no other choice I would say it is a very good choice for your purpose.
Old July 23, 2012, 08:48 AM   #18
old fart

i will have a knife on me but will no way go into the woods with it as my defense weapon. meth labs have taken over here and there are still pot growers from time to time, they will have more than a knife. i have ordered a scabbard and will carry my shotgun, my brother inlaw got a r92 22lr nef pistol the other day, but a 22lr is small animal protection. hogs and bears are rare here but there's a chance, but my biggest threat chance will be the 2 legged meth labbing or pot growing ect. vermin. thanks
Old July 23, 2012, 11:25 AM   #19
old fart

would a soft case with shoulder strap be as good or better than a scabbard? thanks
Old July 23, 2012, 12:41 PM   #20
TheKlawMan

Why would you want to carry a gun for defense zipped up in a soft case or pay much for a fancy scabbard? If you are carrying it for security you need quick access. You said it takes a month to save $10 or $20. I think I would fashion something like a sling out of a length of webbing or make a scabbard out of a piece of canvas or leather. If you have a back rack it shouldn't be hard to makes something to attach to it.
Old July 23, 2012, 01:10 PM   #21
old fart

which would be better a sling or scabbard? i know a slings faster but a scabbard protects the gun like a holster. thanks
Old July 23, 2012, 02:15 PM   #22
TheKlawMan

That is a personal choice. The scabbard would be my choice. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but should allow fairly easy access to the gun IMO.

I would go with something like this http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0