The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2000, 03:45 AM   #1
Bennett Richards

I was thinking of putting a SpeedFeed PG stock on my 870 and was wondering if anyione here has used them? How is their recoil pad compare to stock remington? Is it any better?

I was also thinking of going with the shorter 13 inch pull version to make the weapon a bit more compact ( 870 MM with 18" barrel) Where is the sling mount on these? Standard placement?

Whatcha think?

Ben
Old December 4, 2000, 08:29 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

If you do it, Ben, please post your results, This could be the ticket for shorter folks,as well as those of us that like lots of ammo when we pick up a HD/ WIHTF shotgun.And, the extra weight could counterbalance the forward weight of say, Taclite, mag extender, bayonet, grenade launcher(G)...

In theory, it's quite promising. But we all know that theory and reality are two different things.
Old December 4, 2000, 05:10 PM   #3
Monkeyleg

Dave, is there any difference in functionality or quality between the Express and the standard 870? It would seem that if somebody were looking to "build" an 870 with a different stock, add sights, add a magazine extension and so on that he might as well start out with a shotgun that has cheaper wood.

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.
Old December 4, 2000, 05:29 PM   #4
115+P

Last week I bought a 870 marine mag., I also have a 1187 that I had installed a speedfeed pg with a 13" pull.I took the 870 to the range and worked with it for the afternoon great gun but the standard stock is a little long for me. I was wearing heavy clothes though. So anyway the speedfeed stock now is on the 870 and its perfect. Shoots and points better for me.
In regards to recoil I couldn't tell the diff.
I also installed a side saddle the 13' verson of that stock does not have the ammo storage capability due to the way remington mounts the stock on the receiver.
Old December 4, 2000, 07:57 PM   #5
Bennett Richards

870 MM

Isn't that 870 MM sweet? I love the fact that it is impervious to rust and corrosion. The EN finish on the inside makes it work a lot smoother with little need for luberication. Once I had Hans Vang do his work my 870 Marine was perfect!

Think I will get the SF 13" stock.

Ben
Old December 4, 2000, 08:24 PM   #6
greg c

Ben,

What have I been freakin' telling you!

And get that Giles sling too.

Greg
Old December 4, 2000, 09:23 PM   #7
115+P

What do you think about ghost ring sites? I can pick up the bead site pretty quick without it. Just might make it a little faster???????
Old December 5, 2000, 07:28 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Monkeyleg, the Express may take a little longer to smooth up, less polishing might mean a bit more roughness until things work in.Otherwise, no difference. Also, one of the prime advantages of the 870 these days is that one can "build" a shotgun to his/her specs without needing all that much gunsmithing. I've built two of mine, redid another, and before I get mistaken for a gunsmith, the light has to be rather bad(G)...

The older I get, the more I think that WIHTF/HD shotguns should be stocked like rifles, since they're aimed rather than pointed.And, while stock fit is crucial, most folks can work better with a stock that's a little short than long.

Re Ghost Ring sights, while they're nice, a bead works fine for HD,and no sight is faster. My serious 870s have GRs as much because they also serve for deer hunting with slugs, as for any advantage they may give in an AS scenario.

Also, buck and slugs impact differently,so the GRS has to be set to one or the other. My HD 870 impacts center of 00 pattern 16-18" below slug impact at 25 yards.Of course, HD use will be at much shorter range.
Old December 5, 2000, 08:09 PM   #9
JNewell

Bennett, everyone --

Last time I looked into this, I thought the only SF buttstock I could find was w/o the ammo carriers -- has this changed, or is my memory even worse than I rememeber? (Figger _that_ out!) I am from the school that thinks that the M16A1 stocks are the ideal length for a 6'-5"/36" sleeve man and a short buttstock on the 870 would be ideal.

Where are you sourcing this one?

Tnx