The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 1, 2000, 11:34 PM   #1
Postman

I have a 2 shot Scattergun Tech magazine extension on my Border Patrol. I can not figure out how many rounds it should hold.

Wilson's advertises the gun as having a 7 shot capacity yet I can only fit 6 2-3/4" shells in the mag.

If I were to use a Remington factory folower, or trim 1/4" off the Scattergun Tech folower, I could fit 7 rounds in the tube, but I am afraid to compress the spring too much. Should I be concerned?
Old December 1, 2000, 11:44 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Remington does not recommend that their extended tube guns be kept in a loaded state.
Old December 2, 2000, 12:19 AM   #3
Postman

I'm not concerned with spring fatigue, but rather with binding or siezing of the spring.

7 shells will fit in the tube, but they will only allow 1" for the compressed spring.
Old December 2, 2000, 06:00 AM   #4
ljlc

6 in tube, 1 in chamber equals capacity of 7. It may not be a good idea to dink around with the magazine spring since that can lead to malfunctions. True in my case. DaveMcC may want to comment on this one.

ljlc
Old December 2, 2000, 07:34 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, I wouldn't cut off anything in that tube, follower, spring or whatever.I'm willing to admit that Remington knows more about it than I, and I doubt any trimming I can do would be risk free.

Dinked springs are rare, and spring life gets measured in decades. For instance, the mag spring in my Bird 870 is the one from my first 870, ca 1956. For much of that time, the spring was kept compressed by Remington's factory mag plug, a 1 1/2lb steel cylinder that kept the spring compressed the length of 2 shells. Then it was compressed by a full load of shells for a few years when that piece became a HD tool. Swapped out when I got my extension, it was returned to service when I built my bird 870, and serves to this day.

Even in Corrections, I recall only one or two kinked springs, and those seemed deliberate.

As for extensions.....

Since springs do "set" sometimes,tho rarely, I suggest you use that added capacity to ease the load on the spring. For instance, if you've a 2 shot extender, which gives a possible 6 in the tube, load 5. This not only is easier on the spring,likewise the shell stops,but allows one to have room if a specialty load needs to be chambered. Just load it in the mag, shuck once, and that depleted uranium 000 load is ready to be used on those mutant boar(G)...

And I doubt too many AS scenarios will be won or lost depending on whether your HD shotgun has 5 in it, or 6.

Hope this helps...