The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 31, 2012, 02:39 PM   #1
phantom309

AK fit to upgrade?

Hey guys,

I have what may be an easy question for some of you to answer.Ive only been into firearms for the last couple of years and am still learning,so of course I want to make sure Im not wasting money with pointless projects.

What I have is an AK,one of the WASR series,I believe by Century Arms.I would verify this before posting but Im working away from home with no access to the gun.

Getting to the question,Ive recently been pricing some upgrades for it..synthetic replacement of the wood,quad rail,etc.Id like to know if this gun is worth the money I would invest in it to do so,speaking in particular of the manufacturer and such.If not,perhaps someone could suggest a better manufacturer(s) and give a ballpark price.

The intended purpose for it will basically be home/defense,with specific emphasis on survival/reliability.I realize that some have their issues with the AK in terms of accuracy and such but I bought it for the sheer reliability that the AK holds compared to most other rifles.

With everything going on these days and living in an area prone to hurricanes,Ive begun getting into disaster prepping which led me to buy one early last year,and hence the desire for reliability over other factors.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Last edited by phantom309; March 31, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old March 31, 2012, 03:46 PM   #2
lee n. field

The WASR is rock bottom, but does function relialby. I have one that I'm slowly tarting up. Worth it? Maybe.

Quote:
Getting to the question,Ive recently been pricing some upgrades for it..synthetic replacement of the wood,quad rail,etc.Id like to know if this gun is worth the money I would invest in it to do so,speaking in particular of the manufacturer and such.If not,perhaps someone could suggest a better manufacturer(s) and give a ballpark price.
What length buttstock? I might have a trade for you...
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 31, 2012, 06:53 PM   #3
phantom309

It has a side-folder,not sure what length until I can make it home and get a measurement on it.

Old April 1, 2012, 09:14 PM   #4
chris in va

If you just want to do a couple basic 'upgrades' like Ultimak or furniture, fine. When people start adding quad rails and pseudo AR stuff , I start to question what they are really wanting.
Old April 4, 2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Wyoredman

Hello,

I have a WASR (CA) that used to be one of those single stack, 10 round, models. I purchased the gun for $300.00 and added a TAPCO telescoping stock, grip, and forend, cut the muzzle nut off and added a Tapco slant break and cut out the mag well to accept a double stack 30 round mag. The aditional parts cost me around $150.00 from Midway. Now I have a "custom" WASR for $450.00.

I would say you could do the same with your gun very easily. Have at it and have fun!!!!

P.S. I traded the old stock at a gun show for an extra 30 rd mag! Bonus.
Old April 4, 2012, 03:54 PM   #6
phantom309

"If you just want to do a couple basic 'upgrades' like Ultimak or furniture, fine. When people start adding quad rails and pseudo AR stuff , I start to question what they are really wanting. "

Not quite sure what youre getting at here.Care to elaborate?