The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 6, 2012, 10:14 AM   #1
deerslayer303

The 91/30 holds her own on Top Guns

So on the show the ole Mosin was stacked up against an M1A1 (or Carbine), and an M14. The Nagant held her own scoring a 48, with the M14 scoring a 49, and the M1 scoring a 45. At first I was like, there is no way the 91/30 will hang with those rifles, but I'll be dang if it didn't. I'm Even MORE proud to own a few TAKE THAT GUN SNOBS!!!! lol
Old March 6, 2012, 10:21 AM   #2
LockedBreech

I think the Mosin is quite a bit more rifle than the ~$100 they go for. Thankfully the market is flooded.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:27 AM   #3
deerslayer303

Quote:
I think the Mosin is quite a bit more rifle than the ~$100 they go for. Thankfully the market is flooded.
Agreed. It was a pre war Brass band. The were shooting brass cased ammo but still, I was highly impressed. The did complain about the stiff bolt (opening pressure) but they don't know about the mod either
Old March 6, 2012, 10:48 AM   #4
kraigwy

Last spring, I put on a CMP GSM Clinic/Match. On hand was Garands, Carbines, Mausers, Springfields and Enfields.

The guy who won the match shot a Mosin he picked up the night before with some surplus (spelled crap) ammo.

They'll shoot if one takes the time to learn to work them.

I'm talking "unmodified" rifles which are required by CMP Rules in their matches.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 6, 2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Hardcase

In our Rattle-Battle rifle matches that we have twice a year, some of the oddest stuff comes out of the woodwork, but, aside from M1 Garands, Mosin-Nagants are the most common. They shoot right where you point them.

I've got only one that spreads 'em out some and I think that with either a crown rework or a counterboring, it would probably be right on with the rest.
Old March 6, 2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Webleymkv

Mosins, along with other surplus rifles, are often somewhat looked down upon due to unfair comparison. I can't count the number of times I've seen a Mosin loaded with the cheapest surplus ammo made in who-know-where and stored in god-knows-what conditions compared to a U.S. made rifle loaded with premium, new-production ammo or carefully assembled handloads. When loaded with ammo of comparable quality, Mosins are usually more than capable of holding their own against all of their contemporaries and many newere, more modern rifles.
Old March 7, 2012, 08:56 AM   #7
jsmaye

Really - does this surprise anybody here at TFL?
Old March 7, 2012, 09:05 AM   #8
woody wood

[The did complain about the stiff bolt (opening pressure) but they don't know about the mod either ]

deerslayer-
what is that mod?
Old March 7, 2012, 09:28 AM   #9
deerslayer303

Lap the chamber with bore bright, then put a little bore bright on the locking lugs and open and close the bolt numerous times. Then clean all the bore bright up. Then take the spring out of the bolt and trim one (exactly ONE no more) link or ring off the spring, then reassemble and set the firing pin protrusion. iraqveteran8888 has a how to vid of this on you tube. I'll post a link. I followed it and it made my mosin's work like butter, no sticky cases, sticky bolt, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLL20Oh4P8M
Old March 7, 2012, 09:33 AM   #10
woody wood

sweet deer slayer-thanks

i see on another post that you ordered a cz82 from aim--i did also and will
be here today- i will have to post pictures soon.good luck.
Old March 7, 2012, 09:57 AM   #11
deerslayer303

yes sir, I'm waiting on your pics of the 82, mine is super nice and if yours is also I will order another.