The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 23, 2012, 09:18 PM   #1
boostedtt91

Mosin Nagant Pu Scope Mount

Im sorry if this is a dumb question, but im going to be mounting a scope to my Mosin here shortly and while looking around i have seen alot of the original PU scope mounts/base and reproduction PU scope mounts for sale for basially the same price as aftermarket ones. My question is would it be possibly to drill the receiver out to mount one of these PU mounts to a 91/30? Since mine isnt a actual Sniper Rifle which aleady has the holes in it. Is this something thats possible or is it pretty hard to actually do it?
Old February 23, 2012, 10:10 PM   #2
MagnumWill

That's exactly what I did with my 91/30, is convert it to the PU scope. My scope is a repro- i figure if it's not authentic, i'll go with the looks and integrate new stuff like the fully moving FOV (it's pretty convincing, not one of the newer cheap ones) as well as the mount, i'm assuming.

To install it is super easy. The scope mount I got came with the appropriate drill bit to mount the screws and the retaining pins. I did mine on a drill press no problem, but if I had to do it again I would definitely have used a mill (if I had one accessible). Nonetheless, the drill press works- the mount base itself almost "snaps" into place under the interrupter- like it has nowhere else to go but be totally level . I scribed the holes, got drilling, then tapped the screw holes. I had to notch one of the screws to allow the little setscrew to go in, but it looks fine. I did a pretty shoddy job of cutting the stock out, but I think it came out OK in the end. I would highly recommend using a jigsaw to make it nice and pretty. I think i'm just being too critical of it, it's probably better done than most of the originals

I can take a few pictures of mine at key points that you would wish to look at. I'm really happy with it, and all my friends love it as well :P

Also- I bought the bent bolt body from buymilsurp.com. I bought one off Gunbroker from some guy, and he did a really crappy job of installing the handle. The one on buymilsurp was kind of expensive, but the guy that did it really knows how to weld and polish, it's one of the best you can get. If you don't know already, that's also super easy to change and shouldn't affect headspace.
Old February 24, 2012, 12:11 PM   #3
tobnpr

Drilling and tapping for a scope mount is not rocket science, but the holes need to be precisely located and drilled.

I've done my own, both side mounts and receiver top mounts (with a scope mount jig), but you shouldn't even consider it unless you think you have the necessary skills, and a quality drill press. This isn't something you do with a Ryobi cordless drill...
Old February 24, 2012, 02:15 PM   #4
MagnumWill

Exactly- I forgot to mention, a set of calipers is a must. If the holes aren't exactly where they should be, you won't be able to get both screws and both pins in. The nice thing is the receiver's steel drills nice and easy, do if you do a good center punch it won't walk at all when you drill.
Old February 24, 2012, 03:53 PM   #5
emcon5

Frankly, I wouldn't bother.

Between the cost of the scope, base, and bent bolt, you may as well just get a repro sniper with the work already done. SOG still has them listed for $379.

ATI has real 91/30 snipers for under $700.
http://www.americantactical.us/9/catalog.html
Old February 24, 2012, 06:31 PM   #6
CLC

Quote:
Frankly, I wouldn't bother.

Between the cost of the scope, base, and bent bolt, you may as well just get a repro sniper with the work already done. SOG still has them listed for $379.

ATI has real 91/30 snipers for under $700.
http://www.americantactical.us/9/catalog.html
I would normally agree but look around. I was at my LGS and he had M/Ns with bent bolts and PU style mounts ( 1 inch ) no less in the $150 range without scopes. He even had one with a mount for an FPK scope. I'm not one for bubba jobs but they looked nice in my eyes.
Old February 24, 2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Irish B

I wouldnt waste the time. I have no problem with the long eye relief scope set up on mine. Get a decent scope and itll work fine

Old February 25, 2012, 09:16 AM   #8
MagnumWill

I would still do it- half the fun of owning guns is turning them into what you want them to be in your eyes. I wanted mine to look like the original sniper version, and it's really captured that. And another thing- even if you have rudimentary fabrication skills, you'll probably do a better job than the ones you get from Century- I haves even this instance twice, where they have installed a PU scope mount on a hex receiver gun.

Also, some people are fans of the scout scope modification, but it's certainly not for me. You lose the iron sights, and I'm not very confident in the ability of the rear base clamp holding up after a while. I understand it's practical and all, but it's just different strokes for different folks.

**EDIT** See, check it out. It just looks good.

And I just noticed the Izhevsk stamp on the mount so it may be original, unless it's a fake but i'm fine with that, it looks great (and holds zero very well).

Last edited by MagnumWill; February 25, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old February 26, 2012, 10:41 AM   #9
emcon5

Quote:
A larger/faster projectile will create a larger wound channel, increasing the likelyhood of halting the attack. Sometimes you just get one shot and hicap mags won't do you any good.
Uh, thanks for clearing that up.......
Old March 5, 2012, 10:48 AM   #10
zbones6

What kind of scope?

Hi 'yall. Ive got a 1938 Izehvsk round receiver, and i want a scope for it. i definitely want origional WWII, (repro of course) but im not sure what kind it would have been paired with. Mabey PE with a round base, bc the left side of the receiver is milled so that it thins out as it goes up, and im not sure if a PU would fit, or if the PU was even invented in '38
Old May 1, 2012, 07:02 PM   #11
proj

I bought a custom mosin nagant scope mount from this guy on ebay. It was a quick, easy install, and fit on perfectly. Here is the ebay link, if it still works. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1199wt_1139

Old May 3, 2012, 11:55 AM   #12
RC20

Quote:
I wouldnt waste the time. I have no problem with the long eye relief scope set up on mine. Get a decent scope and itll work fine
I would. Its more correct for the gun, the dynamics of whiplash on that sort of large scope on a mount like that has to be interesting.

The allure of the MN and the sniper scope setup is it is true to its form and a large part of the appeal is that part of it.

If I wanted a tack driver I would get a Savage with a good scope. MN is going to be all over the map, just want to do what it is capable of.