The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 10, 2012, 10:47 AM   #1
4T4MAG

Cleaning Jags

I have been using brass jags for many years. I am looking at polymer, nickel plated and aluminum jags for copper solvent ammonia based cleaners such as wipe out patch out and foaming solution. The brass jags will give a false positive indication on copper fouling, BUT, are the polymer and aluminum jags too hard or soft that they would harm the bore or too soft and pick up debris and act like sand paper? Will the aluminum mar? Also, clean from the muzzle or the breach? I used a coated Dewey rod and most all of my rifles are stainless.
Old February 10, 2012, 11:10 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

I don't think it matters what material is used for a jag as long as you keep it clean. I generally do not drag my tools in the dirt, but I always wipe the cleaning rod and jag before they go into the barrel from the breach end.

Usually I start with a solvent cleaner (Ed's Red) and abrass brush to remove any carbon/powder deposits. Then with a nylon brush to work in the copper remover. Sometimes I'll use a headless machine screw wrapped with a cotton batting to make a mop, that will carry solvent/bore cleaner into the bore. I'm very generous with the cleaners in the bore as a new patch will carry them out with one pass.
Last pass is with a oiled patch.
Old February 10, 2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Eazmo

I am using just the old outters plastic jags on my stainless Dewey rod for copper removal.
they actually work quite well. i not worried about them being to soft to pick up debris as the patches i use completely cover the jag.

Bore tech does offer a complete line of jags that will not give a false positive
Old February 10, 2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Plastic tips do have a problem with breaking off the rod and leaving the threaded shank stuck in the rod.

Nickel plated won't stand up to aggressive solvents and the plating will be stripped fairly soon.

Aluminum works okay, but I have seen a few of them broken off in the rod also.

Brass is best, and if you wipe it off before applying solvent to a patch, it won't have time to be attacked by a solvent and give a false indication of fouling.
I insert the rod and patch into the chamber, then use a plastic transfer pipette to apply a shot of solvent. Then the patch goes straight down the bore and out the end.
Buy pipettes made by Accu-Bore from Brownell's.

Whenever at all possible, clean from the chamber end, and don't "pump" patches up and down the bore.
You should put patches down the bore and out the muzzle in one easy, smooth pass.
Pumping a patch up and down the bore does nothing.

The Bore Tech tips may be the way to go.
Old February 16, 2012, 05:46 PM   #5
frumious

I second the Bore Tech Proof-Positive jags. If I use a regular brass jag with Bore Tech Eliminator copper solvent, the patch comes out blue even if I run it through quickly. That BTE is aggressive. I have a BTE PP jag in .30 and .45.

-cls
Old February 17, 2012, 08:24 AM   #6
tobnpr

I believe your concerns as posted are correct.

A little over a year ago, I buy two nice Dewey ball-bearing nylon coated rods. Supposed to be the shiznit at the time...
Now, OOOhhh....no plastic, it picks up and holds abrasive debris...

Reminds me of Saccharin...

I'm not as concerned about a cleaning rod, because my cleaning rods don't contact the bore, and if they do, it's incidental. A jag, OTOH, when pulled "naked" back through the bore, is definitely going to glide along the lands.

I'd stick with brass.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Inspector3711

I bought a set of Tipton nickel plated jags a couple of years ago. Love em'.