The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 8, 2011, 11:45 PM   #1
OldGuy51

20 ga. Winchester model 12...1931

Still need to do some digging, but may have a line on a 20 ga. model 12 that, based on the serial number was made in 1931. Still going by pictures and a weak description, but the thing is in "fair" shape...I think. A couple of dings in the butt (imagine that after 80 years), and looks like some loss of blueing on the receiver (but not extensive).

I'll post some pics when I get them transferred, but any first thoughts?
We're still both doing the dance, so don't really know much...but looking for insights.

Cost?
Huntable?
Can it take modern loads, or is this a wall-hanger?
Old November 9, 2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Doyle

Definately huntable (except for waterfowl which will require steel shot). The Model 12 was considered by many to be the most perfectly balanced pump every made.
Old November 9, 2011, 10:47 AM   #3
zippy13

Definitely not a wall-hanger. Check out Simmons, they will make your Model 12 a thing of envy.
Old November 9, 2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Ricklin

Many, myself included consider the M12 to be the "Perfect Repeater"

You would be hard pressed to find a better gun, the swing and feel of an M12 are almost magical. The quality esp. pre 64 is legendary.
Old November 9, 2011, 11:45 AM   #5
gunut

12/20

I have a 20ga model 12 made in 1931....serial no.6412XX...round barrel 28in full choke field grade....mine has some carry wear and flakeing of the receiver a few dings in the wood ect, probably in overall 80% condition or so...should be the first year for proof steel barrels...but could still possibly have nickel steel as they were running changes......very huntable and collectable...not to mention the feel of nostalgia when hunting with it......