The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 26, 2011, 03:56 PM   #1
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Victories.....

She was 13 years old, and if she put the butt of her Remington 12 gauge autoloader on the ground, she could see over the muzzle, but not by much. Her mother told me she was preparing for a big 4H shoot this coming weekend.

He was in his 30s, limped badly on both legs, shot a camo 870 and had to sit down and rest after a round of trap.

We all met by chance at range 7 at PGC. I had planned on a couple rounds of wobble before work, but range 4 was pre-empted for makeups for one of the leagues. Just for a change, I left the Beretta claycrusher O/U at home and brought Number Six instead.

Six is a field grade 870 older than my wife of 35 years. A new LC barrel with a set of chokes makes it a versatile field gun. I don't shoot it enough these days. I had an excuse to bring it. a few boxes of reloads whose hulls were on their last trip meant I could fling them around and not have to bend over to pick them up. At an arthritic 65, that's a very good reason.

Her mother told me that this was the first time She had shot at any range other than her home range. He told me that he had suffered a spinal chord injury earlier this year and had not regained full use of his left arm. His doctors did not expect him to walk again.

He smiled, and said he was getting ready for a goose hunt.

I told her that shooting different games and places was good for steepening the learning curve and about BA/UU/R. Every day and every step was a victory and to keep on.

We shot a round of trap. No one shot well enough to hit them all, but we all shot well enough that a straight seemed possible next time.

That's a victory in itself.

On the way home, with the Jeep purring along and the Allman Brothers telling me about Stormy Mondays, I got to musing about this.

She standing on the brink of adolescence, had a victory every time a clay exploded,and many of hers did.

He, not only a victory, but physical therapy every time he lifted that Remington.

And I had a victory also. I got to do something I love once again. That may also be therapy.....
Old October 26, 2011, 04:00 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

I'm all choked up,,,

Quote:
...Allman Brothers telling me about Stormy Mondays
Man, that sounds like a wonderful afternoon.

Thanks for posting it.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 26, 2011, 06:44 PM   #3
OkieCruffler

Love it Dave. It is experiences like these that are the true treasures in life.
Old October 26, 2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, folks. We all need victories sometimes.
Old October 26, 2011, 08:48 PM   #5
shootniron

Good one Dave...I am glad that you and they got to experience it.

P.S.
I didn't know folks as far north as you had ever heard of the ABB. Jokin' about that of course, but they are one of my favorites.

Last edited by shootniron; October 26, 2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old October 26, 2011, 09:02 PM   #6
oneounceload

We have a shooter here, Dave - older gent, former Ortho surgeon, now retired.....turns out he needed a new hip, had his former partner do the work.........body rejected this and all models 5 times; combined with some RA in his back it looked like his shooting days were numbered. In his youth he was the skeet champ of PR, and is a phenomenal sporting/FITASC shooter. Up until the last few months, he had several years of using crutches and having his wife or a friend holding his belt and his shoulder so he could stand and shoot. I just heard that the last month or so he is now standing on his own shooting

The will to win is an amazing thing, this gent, in his late 60's, has overcome physical infirmities to bounce back and shoot like his former self - I hope I am able to do the same when it comes my turn

Any stories like these are great to see and read about
Old October 26, 2011, 10:17 PM   #7
OkieCruffler

Here's to hoping that your range, where ever it may be, has a Dave. A true gentleman whose willing to give his time to help out a new shooter, or old shooter for that matter. Dave, you're a blessing to the sport.
Old October 27, 2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Shootniron, Brantley Gilbert's "Country Must Be Countrywide" rebutts that misconception. Listen to the slide work and tell me Duane ain't alive somewhere.

1 Oz, last time I shot trap with Colonel Joe, he kicked my butt just like he has since we met. He turned 93 over the summer, walks with a cane slowly, but still has moxie. As for retrofitted hips, mine has been recalled. It's still holding up, though. Hope your Doc friend has many more happy years of trying to bust them all.

Shucks, John, I'm nothing extraordinary. Every range probably has a bunch of guys who help out new folks.

But thanks anyway....
Old October 27, 2011, 11:49 AM   #9
aarondhgraham

Just out of curiosity,,,

Isn't there a way a person could shot clays sitting down?

I'm asking because I don't know.

I've personally seen people compete in rifle and pistol shoots,,,
From a wheelchair or those little powered scooter thingies.

One would think that could work for clays as well.

Simply curious is all.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 27, 2011, 12:05 PM   #10
oneounceload

We have two gents here who shoot trap sitting down and another two from their motorized scooters

This is Fl after all - and someone like me in their mid-fifties is the baby; someone in their 80's is just hitting their stride and someone in their 90's is doing just fine....................
Old October 27, 2011, 02:02 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

All ranges at PGC are wheelchair accessible. I've seen more than a few folks out there on wheels. On the SC course, the shooting points have drop down rails.

There's also one guy I've seen a couple times shooting trap and 5 stand. He has no vocal cords. A whistle around his neck is his signaling device for "Pull!".
Old October 27, 2011, 03:23 PM   #12
Lee Lapin

Excellent work, Dave...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old October 28, 2011, 09:48 AM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks!