The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 16, 2011, 01:26 AM   #1
SRT2

How's the Ruger SR9c?

How's the Ruger SR9c? Watched a youtube by hickok45 and it
looked good. Anybody have one?
Old September 16, 2011, 01:40 AM   #2
predecessor

For the price tag, it's a nice little gun. But for me, there are many other pistols in it's class that I prefer.
Old September 16, 2011, 01:41 AM   #3
Adamantium

I got one for CCW and like it alot. I'm not recommending it over the other Glock, S&W or Springfield sub-compact double stack 9mm's though because I've got no experience with them. But it seems doubtful I'll ever go out of my way to hold one because I am very happy with the SR9c.

I will say I do like the grip extender for the 17 round magazine. It goes on the Magazine so there is nothing to install/uninstall and it makes it compatible with SR9 magazines (basically there is no dedicated 17 round magazine for the SR9c, it just uses its bigger brother).

Also comparing it to my wife Taurus Slim 9mm, the size difference is very small, but the grip fits the hand much better.

I have also been very impressed with the sights, not only are they well sized, but they are both fully adjustable and have nothing on the rear sight to catch on clothing beyond what fixed sights have.

Hope it helps.
Old September 16, 2011, 01:57 AM   #4
BigBrute

They are supposed to be very good overall. I know they feel good in the hand and have a nice trigger. There have been reports of peening issues, at least from some users, but I believe those problems have been dealt with in more recent models. Otherwise it's a good gun, should be very reliable, and has a pretty fair price tag from what I've seen
Old September 16, 2011, 02:23 AM   #5
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Look here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462449

Now, go figure...
Old September 16, 2011, 11:36 AM   #6
LordTio3

A buddy of mine just bought one at the Indy 1500 (his first pistol ever). We went to the range together and he let me shoot it. I bullzeyed a quarter-sized target at 7 yards my first three rounds. It's an accurate little gun. We've since decided that, based on the accuracy and availability of larger capacity magazines for the compact version, there is really no reason to ever own an SR9 in full-size, unless you really really really want one.

There are only 2 things I don't like about the SR9c. When I insert a full-sized magazine with the grip block, I sometimes pinch the holy-cow out of my hand... which is a training issue. It wouldn't happen if I did 100 mag changes and taught myself to avoid it.

And the second thing is just a cosmetic gripe. The Angry Mohawk (aka the dorsal loaded-chamber indicator).

When the weapon is ready to fire, it just looks angry and scruffs up it's neck hair like a feral dog. Looks a little goofy to me, but to each his own.

~LT
Old September 16, 2011, 01:20 PM   #7
SRT2

SR9c

I held one at the gun shop this morning. It feels very good in hand
with the standard mag ( I have small hands)...didn't try it with the
extended mag. Has a solid feel. trigger felt good dry firing....and the
price was good ($439) NIB.

I am considering this or a CZ P01 but I can't find a P01 anywhere to
take a look at. The CZ gets very good reviews. The P01 runs about
$125 more than the Ruger.

Last edited by SRT2; September 16, 2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old September 16, 2011, 05:42 PM   #8
ESI Agent

Im carring my SR9c as I type.It has proven it self to be a durable/reliable as well as very accurate firearm.
Old September 16, 2011, 05:59 PM   #9
jimbob86

Brother has one. Nicest trigger on any $400 handgun I've ever fired.

Last edited by jimbob86; September 16, 2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old September 17, 2011, 10:34 AM   #10
Lateck

Another Happy SR9c owner here, too!

The SR9c is my best shooting gun... and she carries quite well.

I recommend it to anyone with medium to small hands..

Lateck,
Old September 17, 2011, 11:41 AM   #11
Rogervzv

The SR9c is widely said to have the best trigger of any Stryker 9mm. It is next on my list. I like everything about the SR9c.
Old September 17, 2011, 12:08 PM   #12
treg

I think I read somewhere on the internet about someone who didn't like theirs.
Old September 17, 2011, 02:22 PM   #13
SRT2

Yeah, i read that too.
Old September 17, 2011, 02:38 PM   #14
Venom1956

I'll have to try the trigger on an SR9c next time i see one. Personally I love my SR9 bought it right when it came out. But the trigger on mine is terrible. makes me sad.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old September 17, 2011, 04:42 PM   #15
BOBA FETT

i have one the black version...whenever i am at the range people always come over to ask what it is and if they can see it...
Old September 17, 2011, 05:15 PM   #16
K_Mac

I think it is a great pistol. I shoot it well (for me)and it eats everything from cheap hardball to hot hollow points. It is exactly what I was looking for. FWIW I don't mind the loaded chamber indicator, and the external thumb safety adds to my peace of mind when I carry it. These features are deal breakers for some though. The 17 rnd mag with the slip-on grip extension is a nice extra. I have the evil black version. I like it!

Last edited by K_Mac; September 17, 2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old September 18, 2011, 12:38 AM   #17
stickhauler

The original SR 9 had a horrible trigger. When Ruger decided to make the SR 9-C, they remedied that issue, and any SR 9 made since then also has the same trigger system as the SR 9-C.

It's a great small 9mm pistol, and since the day I bought mine, it has been my usual carry gun, replacing either an XD-9 or a Glock 22.
Old September 18, 2011, 06:19 AM   #18
excelerater

I own both the c and the fs SR9 and I find them to be
excellent shooters and as accurate as anything I own
Old September 18, 2011, 07:01 AM   #19
Redbeardsong

I've been carrying mine for over a year and have over 2000 trouble-free rounds through it. It's got an outstanding trigger and is accurate, fun to shoot, and conceals wonderfully. I haven't found a good reason to replace it.
Old September 18, 2011, 11:06 AM   #20
mitchntx

Maybe I haven't found the "sweet-spot" yet, but I am not happy with the "tail" that sticks it. It digs into seats and chairs.

I keep rotating from the 2 to 4 position. I've canted it, rotating from vertical to 20* or so.

I've thought about removing it. I really like this weapon. It's light, accurate and reliable.

I need a little help getting it adjusted.
Old September 18, 2011, 11:47 AM   #21
Redbeardsong

Are you talking about the back of the slide/grip area? You might try a higher or lower ride holster. Sometimes a 1/4inch adjustment makes the difference in holster position.
Old September 18, 2011, 12:06 PM   #22
jimbob86

Quote:
I think I read somewhere on the internet about someone who didn't like theirs.
Send them my way, and I will take it off their hands for $300!
Old September 18, 2011, 02:45 PM   #23
mitchntx

Quote:
Are you talking about the back of the slide/grip area? You might try a higher or lower ride holster. Sometimes a 1/4inch adjustment makes the difference in holster position.
Its the tail on the front side of the grip. Its fine while standing, just while sitting.

I'm using a hybrid IWB ...

If you can visualize the hanger on the left curving around my hip/kidney area, exposing that tail on the grip.

I've tried running the edge of the kydex at my waistband to about a 1/4" up.

Last edited by mitchntx; September 18, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old September 18, 2011, 03:06 PM   #24
treefarmernc

Had mine several months now for CCW and I love it. It is a natural pointer for me and very accurate. I would recommend.
Old September 18, 2011, 04:13 PM   #25
Venom1956

Quote:
The original SR 9 had a horrible trigger. When Ruger decided to make the SR 9-C, they remedied that issue, and any SR 9 made since then also has the same trigger system as the SR 9-C.
thats awesome... I was planning on dropping in a ghost trigger bar into it but now i'm gonna have to check out the SR9c trigger. My SR9 might have to get mailed to Ruger... wonder if they can mill me an SR9 slide with that badass 25th million serration on a blackened stainless one but have the phoenix mirrored stainless? I wish the black stainless was out when i bought mine.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug